• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Would that really ruin a rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd have to side with those who say its all about the interpretation of the word "ruin". If you "ruin" an apple pie by not enough sugar is it still not edible? If you "ruin" your group at he range by a flyer would it still not kill?
I think if you take the words in the context and time its written it means to me the rifle was damaged/tarnished/blemished, but not unserviceable...just my .02

Eterry

Rifleman1776 said:
Agree with all. There is more to the story.
"ruined" is not well defined in the story.

Have not read this book. Any chance he was a malingerer looking for an excuse to leave the front?

According to cowpoke, it seems he was in no less than six (6) different engagements, so to say he may have been malingering wouldnt hold water in my estimation. Again, he may not have meant "ruin" in the same manner as we use it today. Words change their meaning over time; remember when the word "gay" meant happy, merry, or bright.

Eterry

Those were some of the more famous battles that David Holt took part in. Another thing I've been thinking about. I'm not sure what the soil is like in the Virginia area, but here in the deep south we have a lot of red dirt, which contains clay and iron. Good brick material. If this soil is carried down the barrel by rain water collecting in the bottom of the barrel, clogging the entire breech, including the flash channel. After the rain storm, they would stack their muskets outside their tents. In the sun light, the barrel would heat up cooking the mix inside yhe barrel. Next thing you know, you have a brick hard clog in your barrel. The musket is not "ruined", but surely out of commission. To clean it out properly, it would take time. If you receive marching orders, you break camp, pack your gear and march off to the next battle. A musket in such condition would be dead weight and be left behind. I agree with Eterry as to the use of the term "ruin". Just another thought :v

Back