• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Work Bench

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamamarine

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm not a member to to many message boards so I have to ask something not quite gun connected. I've been building my rifles on a rickety old work bench and I've decided I need to build something that won't wobble. I've never been one to do things the easy way so just going out a buying a new bench isn't an option. Where can I get plans for a large workbench that will still look good? I'm thinking about an English or shaker style furniture maker's bench with a tail vice. What sort of benches would you all suggest? Who has pics of what they work on or wish they worked on? I've got room along the side of the garage for a 10' bench with plenty of room to work off both ends.

here is one link to sevral threads on this subject of which there are many ... sir .. :hatsoff:
[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum...p?tid/203650/post/383567/hl/workbench/#383567[/url]

Davy

Last edited by a moderator:
The perfect Bench is but an elusive dream(in my opinion). I have built several over the past 30 years and after having done so found things that I would do differently. So I"ve yet to have the perfect Bench. A big Bench holds lots of stuff and it can be hard to find room to work. A small bench will be crowded.
One thing that was I believed needed in a proper bench was a tool well. Never again on a bench for me! All I found it to be was a place for Dust and shavings to collect and cover up small tools.
You will as you serch the Archives You will find a free standing bench by Tom Caster(it's on the link Davy posted, user name Thornapple) that I think will be my next Bench, because it allws 360 degree access and while big enough is not so big as to become cluttered. I have two benches one 5Ft long and the other 10 ft long with 3 ft between them so I can work off both but still need one like Tom's. Hope you can glean an idea or two from all this ramblin.

Hey Guys! I never intended for my comments to stop the conversation! Just meant that I have accepted the fact That I will never likely find the bench that would fit all my needs.

I think I'm with Jim on this one. 360 degree access can help you avoid a lot of clamping and un-clamping from the vice, and often it helps to get at or just be able to view both side of the rifle when you are working on it.

If you are actively using your shop either daily, or several times a week, its worth while building some benches along a wall, with access to overhead cabinets to hold tools, etc. AND to have an Island bench or table to hold larger work, with a good swivel head vise. Lighting is the other problem all shops fight to have in the right place at the right time. Flourescent lights are cheap, both to buy and to run, but they fuzz up work when you need to see lines clearly. Stick with incandescent bulbs over your workplace. If you can put a skylight in your roof over the bench, you can at least take advantage of natural light during the daytime.

I do agree with your accessments of tool boxes on a bench. I lose enough stuff on the top of the bench now, so I don't need something that will catch and bury tools at the bottom.

I've posted these before but this is my set up.
IMG_0851.jpg

IMG_0850.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

Mitch

Back