• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wool test?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulN/KS

58 Cal.
Reaction score
What is the best way to check fabric to confirm it is wool?Reason I'm asking is that I found an old red blanket that seems to be wool but would like to be sure before using the material.I tried burning some of the fuzz and it did'nt leave any plastic residue.Smelt like feathers too.Any ideas folks?

As I understand, observant Jews will not wear clothing made from blended materials. I apologize for not remembering what this is called. Anyway, there IS a way for Observant Jews to determine if fabric is one material or blended. A synagogue may be able to help you.

Your burn test should be sufficient. If there is any man made materials, there will definitely be a plastic smell. I've used the test on pieces of thread less than a quarter inch long, to determine wheter a collection piece was authentic, or a reproduction.

What is the best way to check fabric to confirm it is wool?

I just give it to my wife to hold for a few minutes, she has a wool allergy, if she breaks out in a mild skin rash, it's wool... :D

Paul,

The best way I've found is to make a full sized capote out of it, then make sure you've told everyone in 5 mile radius - "Please do not wash my capote in hot water!" then, if you come home and find that your "full sized capote" is now a child's jacket... It's real wool!

Which leads me to wonder: Why don't sheep shrink when it rains? ::

...The Kansan...

usually it does not rain hot water and then the sheep go through a very gentle dry cycle.

Of course there is the natural lanolin in the wool, so the coat is already oil treated and pretty much waterproof.

Sometimes I prewash wool and shrink it on purpose to "full" it out. Makes cheap wool less prone to fraying and makes the whole garmet thicker and warmer.

The burn test is the way to go. It sounds like you have wool.

If you are buying wool the girls at the fabric store will know exactly what you are talking about if you mention "burn test". They know their products and can usually tell you if the fabric is pure. It's usually written on the bolt. I have even had the clerks warn me away from fabric they knew would shrink excessively.

You can wash wool all you want when it is in cool water. It is the drying that is the problem. You see, if you were to put a sheep in a dryer(not saying it would live or anything)the wool would shrink. It is a heat thing. Paul, You could bring it to your local woolen mill. They'ed tell you if it was pure wool.

Thanks for all the help folks.And gabi,there ain't any woolen mills close by.(this is cattle country... :D)

Back