• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WooHoo! I second that...TVM

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noeyebrows

36 Cal.
Reaction score
My first flintlock arrived today from TVM, almost 7 months on the nose. Ordered on Jan 10th. Early VA, RH .54cal,36 inch straight barrel,aged steel, Super P wood, Chambers Colonial VA lock, TVM VA Patchbox. 13 3/4 pull. I think I can hear the deer shaking in their hooves already...

DSC01902.jpg

Well, looks like a couple a folks will be hitting the range soon, an working up loads. Now don't forget to let us all know how your rifles shoot, an what loads you end up with. Full range reports everybody!! :bow: :applause:

Going shooting tomorrow. Standby for range report.
The 36 inch barrel is a little nose heavy, but thats kinda how I wanted it. Hangs very steady. Just weighed in at 9lb, 2oz.

Try 90 grs. of 2F, .530 ball and .014 patch lubed with mink oil. Shoots great through my Getz.

Man.......that is NICE!!! I am looking forward to hearing how it shoots! Mine will be in .45 cal. Which triggers do you have...the Davis or the L&R early triggers? I love the looks of either.
Macon

I don't think that ole-raggedy-lookin-thing was meant to be hunted way up north...better send it on down here to NC before you get the bore all fouled, then you'd have to clean it, etc

:wink:

The triggers are L&R early. 10 times better than set triggers I've tried on T/C hawken or Traditions.

If I replace the flint with a chunk of wood, can I practice dry firing without too much wear on the lock? I can tell already that this is going to take some getting used to. This big lock crashing down is already enough to make me blink (flinch), even without the flash.

nice have fun

wood flint helps
best way to get used to the flas is shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot and shootand whe43n your tired of doing that shoot some more.
And remember to shoot into a back stop that youi can reclaim the lead.
just mt .02

No Eyebrows said:
If I replace the flint with a chunk of wood, can I practice dry firing without too much wear on the lock?
Simplest thing I've found for that is to take a common spring type wooden closepin, take it apart, and right where the wood is hogged out a little to make room for the coil spring, just snap the wood in two at that point...and you have a hard wood flint.
:thumbsup:

Back