• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wooden Spoons

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Extra virgin and virgin olive oils mean that they come from the first pressing of the olives and no heat or chemicals are used. Virgin oil contains less than 3% acid and extra virgin less than 1 %.(These numbers aren't set in stone but are close)
A glass of red wine, good olive oil, some prosciutto, and a bit of sharp provolone cheese make for a treat that will kill ya, but you will go with a smile on your face.

AMEN!!!
Here's to a glass of wine, a little italian salami. a great crust bread and a shady spot to sit in.

Best to you all,
Black Hand

I've never oiled or waxed a wooden spoon in my life.I've got one that is 30 years old. Just a thought. :m2c:

Actually, any vegetable oil, such as Olive Oil, can and will go rancid. It's a chemical reaction that basically just changes the taste. People around the world eat rancid oil on a daily basis.

There is a well know wooden spoon maker in San Diego that suggests food grade wax to keep your spoon or wooden bowl in top shape.

If you would like to visit this spoon makers website go to:

http://www.tryyn.sandiego411.net/Default.htm

Food seems to taste better in a beautiful wooden spoon.

W.B.

Spoons are fun to make too!
Thanks for the link
Here's a few I'm working on.
spoons.jpg

Claudes bees wax and olive oil is the best stuff to keep in your bag there is. You can use it on everything including your chapped lips. I even run a patch of it down the tube for long term storge. Just play with the mixture until you get something thats not too soupy and gels nice.

Newt, I love the 2nd from the left, nice grain on that one. You gonna be selling these??
BTW, go to Grants' Co'y 42d Royal Highland Regiment and see if we're having any events you'd care to go to, if you do step up and say 'howdy'
PS, did you get to the Feast Of Ste Clair?? I went both days, just wonderful.
:redthumb:

Windwalker,
"Sharp" provolone is a provolone cheese that has been aged for anywhere from 6 to 24 months. It is much drier in texture and has a much stronger flavor than the younger cheeses. It is much more expensive, but damn it has a great taste. Here is the place I get mine from and they give a bit of a description of the different ones. Do a search there for provolone and about 15 different ones pop up.

http://www.dibruno.com

Weaselbreath is absolutely correct. I use olive oil every day in cooking and on salads. It can and does go rancid and you can definitely tell the difference in taste (not good). I use either mineral oil or beeswax to treat wooden eating implements.

mike

Newt;

Very nice spoons-they look like maple. I have some striped maple that I've been tempted to use to make some spoons but have held off since I don't know of a stain that will both bring out the figure in the wood and be food safe. How did you stain yours?

mike

I must admit to being somewhat ignorant on olive oils, the "extra virgin" olive oil I tried in my rifle rusted it quickly (maybe just this Louisiana humidity). As to wooden spoons, bowls, etc., the wood workers I know all recommend food grade mineral oil. I quit putting olive oil in my guns. I use mink tallow. The old bear grease was considered the best as it didn't turn rancid either, when made properly. :m2c:

Latest posts

Back