• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wooden Spoons

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NORD

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy All!

Say I just made a wooden spoon last night from a chunck of oak I had sitting around and I was just wondering if anybody has a good way of protecting the spoon from moisture...I was thinking about applying some olive oil to it.

Any suggestions?

:thanks:

You may wish to try the mineral oil they sell in kitchen supply stores for wooden utensils instead. Olive oil goes rancid after a while in the light and air and may impart a funny taste and smell to your spoon (and food).
Black Hand

My experience is with high-end (extra virgin) olive oil from my grandfathers' trees . Now that you mention it, the stuff you get from the store may not, as it is usually not extra virgin first-pressing stuff. In that case, you're probably OK. But yes, I have some stuff that was stored in less-than-optimal conditions and it tastes and smells "off".
Black Hand

Beeswax will work - heat the wax, rub it in with a soft cloth, polish off excess with a clean one. It's just honeycomb, won't hurt ya. Don't set the spoon next to the fire though... :)

Don't leave the spoon sitting in water for long or it may crack. I have some that have not had anything done to them for years and they are fine. I just wash them in soap and water and let them air dry.
Patsy

Beeswax will work - heat the wax, rub it in with a soft cloth, polish off excess with a clean one. It's just honeycomb, won't hurt ya. Don't set the spoon next to the fire though... :)

Don't leave the spoon sitting in water for long or it may crack. I have some that have not had anything done to them for years and they are fine. I just wash them in soap and water and let them air dry.
Patsy

Well SHOOT!

I just applied extra virgin olive oil to my wooden spoon before you wrote in. Is there any way I can get the olive oil off and apply the beeswax like I should have? :cry:

I probably wouldn't worry about it. The oil and the wax should mix just fine. With a single coat of oil, most of it should come off with a washing with soap and water.

A "rule of thumb" I heard someplace about oiling woodenware is "once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, and then once a year there-after". I used the vegetable oil from my kitchen with a judicious application of heat from my toaster oven. I have used this spoon for 3-4 years now with no problem. I just oiled it good over the period of a week, and then whenever I think about it (once or twice in the last several years). No cracks or swelling.
Black Hand

You may wish to try the mineral oil they sell in kitchen supply stores for wooden utensils instead. Olive oil goes rancid after a while in the light and air and may impart a funny taste and smell to your spoon (and food).
Black Hand

Olive oil does not go rancid. It is the only vegetable oil that does not go rancid and was used long before mineral oil (petroleum) was developed.

I use it on wooden utensils and my rifle and have never had a problem with it.

[quoteOlive oil does not go rancid. It is the only vegetable oil that does not go rancid and was used long before mineral oil (petroleum) was developed.

I use it on wooden utensils and my rifle and have never had a problem with it. [/quote]

That is what I thought...but I wasn't sure and that is why I asked for the wisdom. LOL!

Well I am going to have the best preserved spoon in the world! I first applied olive oil heavely then washed it off with soap and water (could still see that there was olive oil present in the wood after it dried. Then I sanded the little burrs off and applied some beeswax to the spoon after warming it with a hairdryer. The oak spoon is very smooth and I think it will work now...I think I might apply olive oil now and then just to keep it from cracking.

Thanks for all your input everyone! :front:

I will have to get a digital camera so I can start sharing some of my creations with you all!

The can below contains a mixture of Beeswax and Olive Oil. (pure beeswax on right) Experiment with proportions until you get the consistency that you like.

If you rub a cloth in the mixture it warms and begins to soften. You can then rub it into your wooden utensils or your rifle stock. Good stuff!

BeesWax_Oil.jpg

The can below contains a mixture of Beeswax and Olive Oil. (pure beeswax on right) Experiment with proportions until you get the consistency that you like.

If you rub a cloth in the mixture it warms and begins to soften. You can then rub it into your wooden utensils or your rifle stock. Good stuff!

BeesWax_Oil.jpg

Ok well thanks for the tip! I will have to make some of that.

Do you have to worry about what type of olive oil you use...I have some extra virgin olive oil in the cabnet now...will that work?

Some of the cheapest olive oil is labelled
" extra virgin " one guy used some on the metal
parts of his gun .... and it rusted, Find a good one.

For the modern re-enactor mineral oil is
better but if you used your spoon to eat fatty
chicken soup everyday and never used modern
detergent there would be no problems .

A very nice ( but expensive ) choice
is walnut oil . Boston lettuce with walnut
oil ought to be served as dessert .

Sir,
I must respectfully disagree with a portion of your statement. Most of the stuff they sell here in the US that is purchased in the grogery store may be labeled as extra virgin, but I have my doubts. It is most probable that we are talking of two different critters. When I speak of extra virgin olive oil I am speaking of the very first pressing that is more green and fruity that the stuff I have seen here. This is the pure UNFILTERED stuff, and it is this fact that allows it to turn by oxidation and light. I have experienced this first hand with this type of oil I have in my home. I do agree with your statement in that the (filtered) extra virgin olive oil will not go bad. In the end, the stuff that Nord had will work just fine for his spoon.
Black Hand

Sir,
I must respectfully disagree with a portion of your statement. Most of the stuff they sell here in the US that is purchased in the grogery store may be labeled as extra virgin, but I have my doubts. It is most probable that we are talking of two different critters. When I speak of extra virgin olive oil I am speaking of the very first pressing that is more green and fruity that the stuff I have seen here. This is the pure UNFILTERED stuff, and it is this fact that allows it to turn by oxidation and light. I have experienced this first hand with this type of oil I have in my home. I do agree with your statement in that the (filtered) extra virgin olive oil will not go bad. In the end, the stuff that Nord had will work just fine for his spoon.
Black Hand

I agree. "Extra Virgin" has but one definition. It's dark green and you can taste the difference.

Just like wine, you can find a good one, if you know what to look for. If you don't then you can ask someone who does. I'm sure anyone can find good quality extra virgin oil oil if they ask a reputable dealer.

I will leave it up to the buyer to discern the difference and purchase accordingly. Buyer beware!

Ok , just to make things clear

The label should mention :

-Olive , ( not " vegetal " )

-First press .

-Cold pressed .

It will certainly say " extra virgin " but
I wonder if it means anything .

and the country of origin .

Even with this , olive oil is one on the least
controlled export product .

Finally , the price is no guaranty of quality
one expensive brand could be sold elsewhere for
a lower price . Do your own testing , follow
your own judgement , stay away from trends and
fashions .

Finally , the price is no guaranty of quality
one expensive brand could be sold elsewhere for
a lower price . Do your own testing , follow
your own judgement , stay away from trends and
fashions .

Excellent advise that I apply to many facets of my life, not just oil. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back