• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wooden Range Box

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
When at the rifle range I have noticed that a lot of the longrifle shooters have really neat wooden boxes that open up and all their black powder stuff they need to shoot their rifles. Also, they have this really neat looking hinged lid part that stands up the flintlock rifle. I have looked on the internet to see if I could buy one of these boxes but I don't know the name or where to look for them. Help with what they are called or where I might find them.

Logan, My 2 were made by a friend and fellow ML shooter back in the 80s in NE TX. He was a carpenter/cabinet maker. No drawings to be had.

Nope, not for sale. One is mine and the other is my son's. as a matter of fact, need one for the son-in-law and grandson.

TC

Hey Flint. Would it be possible to post some pics and rough measurements, height X width X length ? I know it's a lot to ask, maybe. Thanks Flint, Flint!! :rotf:

Have one for my daughter and after a long search found one for my son from an estate most likely made by the same person that 40 Flint got his from. Had a woodworking friend make my wife and I matching ones after I told him what I wanted.
What I first did was measure the "pile" of possibles that I thought I needed and gave him free rein to make what he wanted.He "nailed it" :hatsoff:

I can't find the link right now, but in the past a few folks have pointed to a wooden tool box from a particular online source. It's very cool and reasonably priced. Hopefully one of them will spot this thread and pipe up. I'm ready to buy one myself to replace the plastic.

I did a quick search of Wood Tool Box online and came up with this one. It's not the one I was thinking of, but it's a good place to start.

Remember those old TV repairmen of yesteryear (back when televisions and radios had tubes and replaceable picture tubes). They would come into your home (yes, most of them made house calls) with that large box filled with all the tubes one could possibly need in it. Large and small sectioned off compartments with lids covering them so the contents would stay in place after the lid was closed. With the bottom section large enough to hold six cans of Goex. I picked one up at a yard sale many years ago for $1.00. Sold all the contents later to a collector for $100.00 and he thought that he got a bargain at that. The case has the large RCA logo on each side, but works just great. Had the opportunity to sell it many times but I really like it and it is just perfect for what I need.

Vern

For $50 at menards, I bought a plastic tool box thats on wheels has 4 lockable drawers, top flips open, and has a tip open bottom compartment. I can go to my range with all the ammo, and targets, andear muffs needed for 3 people for 3 pistols, and 3 long guns. And I can store the pistols in the box. The whole thing locks up with a padlock. It's called a "PLANO PRO".

Leaving now for GTYW (gobble till you wobble). Work tomorrow AM and then off to a BP match. Will try to get pics Sun or later in the week.

Not interested in doing anymore tech learning so won't post to this web site but can email 'em.

TC

I have two range boxes: One is an old Winchester brand ammunition box that my brother found, and built for me. The second is a pickle box I found at an antique sale, and used to make my second box. Look at antique stores, antique sales, estate sales, etc. for an old wooden box.

There are NO SET measurements. If you visit a shooting range, like Friendship, you will find all kinds of shapes, and sizes of boxes being use- some nothing more than fishing tackle boxes that have been "Drafted" for this use. Nothing wrong with them. These boxes are either obviously some commercial product made for another use, or are "custom made" by the owner, or a friend, as indicated above.

This is NOT rocket science. Even a country lawyer like me can build one. I am sure you are quite capable, too. I FIRST decided what I wanted to carry in my box- not what others carried. I did have the benefit of owning the box my brother made up for me, but I don't fill its little trays like he does at all! Ifyou go back through the archives here under Accesories, you should find prior thread on this same topic, with pictures of boxes owned by other members. That should give you a couple of ideas of sizes.

Also- an afterthought-- You should take a look at the Cowboy Action Shooting ( CAS) sites on the Net. Those shooters also carry lots of gear in boxes- some made into wheeled carts-- when they travel to distant shoots. You can get lots of good ideas from the dealers that make boxes for that audience.

Formal Rimfire, and CF target shooters also have " Pistol boxes" that you can find on line, that will give you other ideas of what might be possible for your needs. I see similar boxes being use by the pistol shooters at Friendship- often handmade, because of the different requirements of MLing revolvers and pistols. A lot of championship level shooters shoot both BP and modern handguns to keep their skills up.

Cabine Tree and CalGraf both make range boxes. You should be able to get some ideas about what you need, size, etc. from looking at some boxes.

Here is the one I use, picked it up at Friendship!
He sells them finished and unfinished pine and hardwoods price depends on type of wood, this one is pine, I bought it unfinished $75.
Regards, Steve Chapman

IMG_2040.jpg
[/img]

IMG_2043.jpg
[/img]

These chesta were available as late as this past Summer. One of the fellows who shoots with us got one and it appears to be pretty nice. Here is a contact for a fellow who is a shooter and cabinet maker who does some really nice boxes for reasonable dollars. Mike Medjeski at: [email protected]
Mark

Here's what I have: http://www.northridgewoodworking.com/

I have the standard shooters box with 2 trays, in Ponderosa pine, dark walnut finish. It was $135 ($25 for shipping), but what a beauty! Holds two goex 1 lb cans and everything you could possible want to carry. I coated mine with Linseed Oil to give it an extra waterproof seal and darken the finish slightly. You won't be dissapointed

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, hunts4deer. I think. :hmm:

Those look perfect for my needs, but it's going to really cost me. I can see one for my muzzleloading range box, one for my CF range box, one for my leatherworking tools, and one for my fly tying gear.

Does he give volume discounts? :rotf:

I need to get over to friendship one year. Mind you I need to convince the wife to let me go to your side of the pond.

Take her with you if you go to Friendship. There is no place more friendly or welcoming to women than Friendship, IMHO. Lots of things to see, and buy. And" FLea markets in town( West) and just East of the grounds, too. My fiance looked several times, at an "Indian" dress made of white leather, thinking of wearing it for our wedding. She even tried it on, but didn't want me( or her) spending that kind of money on a dress! Even when we left, and got about 5 miles away, she began talking about going back for the dress. I offered to turn around and do so, but she finally said, " NO". Friendship is only about 1.5 hours from the Indianapolis Airport, and you can easily rent a car to drive on down. There are motels all along the routes there, so finding a place to stay overnite is not that big a problem. Some people prefer to fly into Cincinnati, and drive West from there. Its about the same distance, and driving time. Friendship is located in the Ohio River watershed, so there are lots of "Ups and downs" to the roads, the closer you get to the town. Very pretty country to see, particularly if you live on flatlands as I do. :grin:

Bob,
I bought that one a year ago Sept and finished it last winter, seems like the finished ones are $35 or 50 more I was wishing I would have gotten the finished one before I was done, it did turn out pretty nice, I put the corners on it and the brass handle, they come with a leather handle. I bought a curly maple one finished this last Sept for my son, it was $125.
Regards, Steve Chapman

Back