• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wood Stove for lodge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Claude

I just got off the phone with Don from 4 Dog Stoves and he is recommending the 3 Dog DX for us because of the volume of air in our lodge. He said this will pay off the most when it's cold and windy and the back of the tent, which will be flapped, starts moving in and out with the wind. He gave me some good pointers on running a wood stove very efficiently too. So the bigger stove can be dampened down and not build creosote if I use small pieces of wood and rake the coal forward each time I add wood. Makes sense. Spring Valley does sell his stoves just as I thought.

But I hate to say this, he says the vertical pipe is the best and the little amount of rain that will enter is nothing to worry about because it will only hit the pipe or stove. He also said if I decide to go horizontal, to run the elbows at 60 degrees instead of 90 dgrees. The idea is that the stove will draft better if it is closer to vertical. But this could end up giving me the same problem that SquireJohn was referring to when he ran his at 45 degrees. But you have no problems doing this.

So no matter what we end with, it will be wrong! ha! Darn, I thought my mind was made up. :haha:

I use a stove I got from Cabela's scratch and dent room. It is the sheephearder model, put firebrick in the bottom. They say you can use 1 inch of dirt or sand in the bottom but the fire brick don't shift in traveling. Pipe goes out the back of the lodge at about 15 degree rise through a stove jack that I think I ordered from Montana tent works or something to that effect. The stove jack is NOT p.c. it is somekind of very high temp. rubber or neapream like is used by the military I ordered it pipe size so you have a tight fit around the stove pipe, no rain problems and a lot less safety issues especially when the grandkids are along. The lodge is a spring valley 10 X 14 the stove is 22X10X9 inches and will run you out on a chilly but not extreamly cold night, if not dampered way down. Damper is in the pipe. In realy bad weather you can cook on it also. :m2c:

No Powder

Thanks

I'll bet your stove jack is made of hi-temp silicone. I wonder if it is oval in shape? Spring Valley's new stove jack is oval, is not PC, is of military design and is made of the hi-temp silicone and makes a tight fit around the pipe.

The oval shape will make a tight seal around a pipe that is going through a vertical wall at an angle or an angled roof with a vertical pipe run. Makes sense.

I like the fire brick idea too.

Take a look at Riley Stoves. They have a sheepherder type that is a (!) PELLET STOVE! Several of us have them around here, and they are great, once you figure out how to use them. Two or three bags of pellets for the weekend, one fill of the hopper is good for about twelve hours. No getting up during the night to stoke it. No cutting and hauling wood. You can set your coffee pot on the warming shelf when you go to bed, and slide it on the fire box for coffee in about five minutes in the morning. Hot water reservoir on the side. Pure camping decadence! No stove is period correct, so why not use one that you aren't a slave to? They're excellent for hunting camps. :m2c:

Could be high temp. silicone. It looks like a black rubber oval. I have used this set up for about 10 years. Good luck with what ever you choose. Some of the folks around here are using old coal stoves, because they will burn all night, but they sure are heavy.

Smoked
I have a 12x17 Spring Valley Wall tent with 5' walls and use a 4 dog. Good for cold weather and cool weather. If you bank your stove right it will last all night. My smoke hole is in the roof and not had any problems with leaking. Spring Vally is using a new smoke hole liner that I think will be even better. They also sell 4 Dog Stoves so they Know the spacing for the liner.
My Humble thoughts

I simply trusted the "pros". If tent makers and stove makers say a straight pipe is what we do most.,,then I beleived them. So that's what I got.
The 5" straight pipe(smoke hole)in my 9x9 bell back A frame went through 4"s rain in Hutchinson,(one small leak near the flap) and 6"s at Walnut Grove (rubbed beeswax on the flap) and no leaks. Then we had 2"s at Owatonna and no leaks.
My pipe goes out the top, through a 1000 degree fiberglas insert that tent manufacures install as required by most "state" laws today.(period)
Every manufactuer of canvis tent today will send with the tent a "dis-claimer" saying that the sewed seams may leak and need to be "treated" with a wax or sealant because of the "stitching".(period)

So why the 5" smoke hole? Draft control. Why does that make a differance? Easy. Ain't no California boy,,nor anyone from New York can "understand" that us Minnesota folks experiance a 140 degree temperature swing,or more,!! They got NO CLUE! 101 in August,,50 below in February.
Anyway's,my point is ,get what ya want. Your investment will lose but little value if proper cared for, and i know ya that well! It's easy enough to stock yourself with trade goods,,then swap, trade or even exchange after you have the expeirance. Your in a better place than me. You can go East easyier than I can. Any good canvis,,any good stove,,will hold re-sale value well. Your making good choices,,don't fret,,

Ric Carter, No Powder, Tlukes, Sumtacks:

RC: Sounds like a sweet deal with the pellets. Thanks for the info. How many pellets would you use on a typical day in the 40-50 degree range?

NP: Yep, that is exactly how Spring Valley described it. Good to hear it has served you well.

Tlukes: You are right around the corner from me!!! I am near Witoka on the north side of hwy. Do you ever go to the vous in Chatfield or Winona? Thanks for info. Al is very confident in his equipment and canvas. Good to work with him.

Sumtacks: I just got the bead catalog and beads that you sent to us. Thanks. I owe ya! Thanks for stove info too. You are very correct.

ChimneyHeaters.com Chimney Heat Exchanger
Hi. I also have the toyo stove and that combined with one of these Heat exchangers will heat a 2000 sq/ft House to the point that you have to open the windows in winter.

I got mine at Chimneyheaters.com but I am sure there are of lots of places that have them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back