• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wood patch box lid security

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R.C.BINGAMAN

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Recently attached the wood patch box lids on my smooth rifle and the Christian springs rifle. A small leather whang tied to the spring latch on the inside of the lids and a small tack carefully driven in the cavity of the box section. Was wondering how others may have accomplished this, in order to not loose the lid in case it were to work loose somehow. I cannot imagine trying to locate a box lid in the woods, should such a mis-fortune result in such a issue. Also is there any such documentation one would know of reflecting this. An Appalachian Hunter

There is a good pic. posted by George in the Traditional Muzzleloader Hunting section , that shows how he did it. The Jaegers that I have with wooden box lids are getting a copy of his Idea today.,,,dt

That is what got me to thinking about the security strap, done the 2 guns yesterday, was just curious as to what others might do

A variety of catch types were used, mostly metal but some were purely friction fit plus the leather pull.

Not HC, but I spend my time in thick woods and swamps and use a dab of rubber cement to keep mine from accidently falling off. Who really uses the patchbox anyhow.

walks with gun said:
.... Who really uses the patchbox anyhow.

I would imagine that many folks are like me in that they use the patchbox to hold such things as cleaning jag, patch worm, etc. Almost all of my rifles are of a different caliber and require different size cleaning jags, patch worms, breach scrapers, etc. As a result, I have several sizes of these things. Rather than have to dig out the jag, patch worm, etc. for the specific rifle that I am shooting on any given day, I just keep them in the patchbox of each rifle. The only exception are the two rifles that lack patchboxes. I have made little cloth bags to hold these items in the patch box and keep them from rattling when I am carrying the rifle.

So, I do use my patch boxes, just not to carry patches. :wink:

This thread got me to thinking about the wooden patch box cover on my only rifle that has a wooden patch box cover, my Jim Chambers Early York rifle. It has a pretty secure latch but after reading this thread and giving it a bit of thought, I need to do something like R.C did and attach my lid to my rife so it doesn't get lost. Thanks, R.C, for the tip.
:thumbsup:

A yup. I have a different bag and horn for each long gun. Otherwise I found myself in the field with wrong stuff for that gun. I don't have a butt trap on any guns that I own now. However they appear early in gun history and last in to breechloading times. I doubt they were just decoration.

Me too :thumbsup: My patchbox holds tow an 3 razor sharp flints an a small piece of welding rod that I use in the hole of the jaw screw to change said flints.

R.C. The box lid on my main deer rifle is of the north carolina style that is held on with a screw an swivels to open it. Might be able to break it off but I dont think it will be lost

The lid on my Mike Brooks squirrel head buster is held in via iron pin that I push to the right an pull at the same time to remove. I think it would be possible for it to come off an be lost but so far so good.

Both guns I referred to in the beginning post have the iron lid catches that lock to the butt plate and are rather secure catches. I figured a bit of extra security would not hurt. I have always been fond of the swiveling type of cover as shown on one rifle.

Back