• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wonder what the difference will be?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
I've used a couple thousand .015" precut/prelubed cotton patches and get very good accuracy, particularly with moderate target loads at the range;

And have used about a 1000 .018" precut/prelubed pillow ticking patches make tighter groups so they are my primary patch, particularly for heavy hunting loads...don't really know if it's the extra thickness or the tougher patch material or both;

Due to a good price, I just bought 1000 .015" precut/prelubed pillow ticking patches for use on weekend range trips...they're the same thickness as the .015" cotton I used to use, but the material is pillow ticking like I now prefer.

The question:
Wonder what, if any, differences I'll see at the range with target loads, using .015" pillow ticking vs. .015" cotton?

:hmm:

Wait just a cotton picking minute...what is pillow ticking made of?

::

Rat

Wait just a cotton picking minute...what is pillow ticking made of?
::
Rat

Cotton...but I think pillow ticking is a tighter weave than a regular cotton patch isn't it?

The question:
Wonder what, if any, differences I'll see at the range with target loads, using .015" pillow ticking vs. .015" cotton?

:hmm:

The weave is different on the two materials even though the material itself (cotton) is the same...

I noticed the cotton patches fray on the edges more so than the ticking patches, so I'm guessing this is where the difference will be determined...

Yeah, I've got no idea what all processes are involved in weaving the fibers. The tick is probably more threads per inch and tighter twist on the individual threads???

Donno?

All variations will probably have differences in how much lube they hold, fouling they trap, compressability, ease of loading, etc., etc. It will still doubtless come down to some rifles will shoot better with one, while the next, otherwise identical rifle, will prefer another.

Keep experimenting. :front:

You're kidding, right?

I saw a picture of one of your groups, the patching won't matter!!

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Haaaaaaay! Be nice. I just try to get it in the brown and then rely on my tracking skills thereafter.

When I was 18 or so I was consistantly putting five .224" bullets in smaller group at 100 yards using an 8X scope than a single .36 ball makes. Six mugs of coffee a day for a quarter century and Mr. Mole's eyeglass prescription haven't helped me any.

Well, I must be living under a star...the 10 bags of TC prelubed pillow ticking patches that I bought at a low price off EBay were advertised as .015" instead of the .018" I prefer...but I figured they'd do fine at the range for plinking around at steel tagets, especially at half price I paid for them.

Well, the shipment just arrived and they're all .018" after all!!

:redthumb:

Back