• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WITHDRAWN Will pay top dollar for Pietta Smith carbine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deitera4

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Before you ask about top dollar, tell me about your Smith. Prefer a cavalry model.u

Dent Myers of Wildmans in Kennesaw GA has a beautiful one in his shop

Screenshot_20210529-194930.png

It's not an original Smith but I have one of the Pietta Smith carbines. If I do my part a 10" gong at 100 yds. will be a hurtin. I can keep them all inside 3" at 50 yds. from a bench rest.

It's not an original Smith but I have one of the Pietta Smith carbines. If I do my part a 10" gong at 100 yds. will be a hurtin. I can keep them all inside 3" at 50 yds. from a bench rest.
Is your Smith carbine for sale?

EMF shows them temporarily out of stock, but appears you can order one. SMITH CARBINE CAVALRY 50 21 5/8"
For what it is worth, have owned a Pietta Smith and still have an original (that is NOT FOR SALE), and also have original cartridges that I don’t shoot. Found both the original and the Pietta reproduction interesting at the range, with the original a bit more accurate.

On EMF's site you can order even when out of stock. They will call you within a couple of days to let you know that your ordered something out of stock. Then they will call you when it is in stock to get the 3 digits from your card and make sure you still want it. The guns are coming in.

You say 'interesting'- would you care to elaborate ? Like the OP I've considered buying the Pietta repro and/ or an original but have no experience with either. Am betting the OP would also appreciate your impressions with the Smith.

EMF shows them temporarily out of stock, but appears you can order one. SMITH CARBINE CAVALRY 50 21 5/8"
For what it is worth, have owned a Pietta Smith and still have an original (that is NOT FOR SALE), and also have original cartridges that I don’t shoot. Found both the original and the Pietta reproduction interesting at the range, with the original a bit more accurate.

Last edited:
I used to think it was bad form to shoot original 150 year old guns but after years of collecting, prices have not really increased and civil war guns are not an investment per se. My kids won't give a damn about my collection when I die so I will shoot the ones I want. I bought the best condition original smith I could find, and I am very happy with my original. I have owned three piettas and two of them needed reline. One used to keyhole like crazy as it was an older gun that was rifled backwards. If you are just plinking around, the piettas are nice. If you want to compete you will have more work to do on that gun including trigger job, possible reline, possible breech machining, possible flash hole work. But there are guys who work on these. As a former skirmisher I tend to get too serious about these types of things as do the other skirmishers in the N-SSA so you have to determine what you want from the gun.

A couple of threads you might find useful

https://www.n-ssa.net/vbforum/showt...ietta is a decent,or Maynard suits you better.

https://www.n-ssa.net/vbforum/showthread.php/18735-Smith-carbine-flash-hole

You say 'interesting'- would you care to elaborate ? Like the OP I've considered buying the Pietta repro and/ or an original but have no experience with either. Am betting the OP would also appreciate your impressions with the Smith.
The OP is a classified about wanting to purchase a Pietta Smith, so it would be off topic to go into discussion on shooting one in this thread in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back