• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why such a to-do about antlers? You can't eat 'em.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s because we are guys ( most of us), and we have to have the bigger, faster, better looking, most expensive, most of everything to “ out do” every body else. And antlers are something that can be measured, making us feel superior for having some thing bigger. We are competitive by dna I guess, and this is just another reason for many of us to compete. There are some that don’t like the meat, and donate it or give it to others and antlers and horns are sole reason they hunt ( many will say its the meat, even if they are giving it away) Nor is meat ( food to feed their families) the primary reason many hunt, as we are not going to starve if we don’t kill an animal ( if that was the case any size animal would fall victim ) Antlers are a “ badge” a “ ribbon” or “ trophy” to show to others we are “ better”. And a lot of us will spend a fortune in money just to kill an animal because of the size of the antlers, horns. We all ( vast majority) like to feel superior to others in any way we can, and at what ever cost, size of the antlers and horns are a measurable way to do it.

Last edited:
For all of my deer hunting career I seem to have been swimming upstream against the accepted opinion as to what it’s all about. For a large percentage of hunters it’s obviously all about the antlers, but that’s a minor consideration for me. I love the hunt, the challenge of outsmarting any deer, so it’s first come, first served with me. I don’t mind a buck having a big set of antlers, but I also don’t mind if it has a small set. Come right down to it, I’m after venison, and am not particular as to the package it comes in. As I said, upstream.

From a biological point of view it seems counterproductive. Mother Nature has it arranged so that the bucks compete, play king of the mountain, and that’s so the best, most advantageous genes are passed down to the next generation. And then we come along and concentrate on killing the winner, essentially defeating Nature’s plan. How is that a good thing?

Does anyone care to discuss why deer hunting should have always been a game of “my antlers are bigger than yours”? What is there about taking a buck with large antlers that’s better than one with small ones, or even a doe? Is it just a matter of machismo?

Incoming. :)

Spence
Decided to look up commercial applications for deer antler and it appears it's the velvet that is primarily used in "medicinal" forms including powders, extracts, teas, capsules, and tablets, it has anti-inflammatory properties as well as other potential benefits. Apparently the Chinese were using velvet antler in a medicinal form 2000 years ago.

So yes, you can eat them so to speak.......

For all of my deer hunting career I seem to have been swimming upstream against the accepted opinion as to what it’s all about. For a large percentage of hunters it’s obviously all about the antlers, but that’s a minor consideration for me. I love the hunt, the challenge of outsmarting any deer, so it’s first come, first served with me. I don’t mind a buck having a big set of antlers, but I also don’t mind if it has a small set. Come right down to it, I’m after venison, and am not particular as to the package it comes in. As I said, upstream.

From a biological point of view it seems counterproductive. Mother Nature has it arranged so that the bucks compete, play king of the mountain, and that’s so the best, most advantageous genes are passed down to the next generation. And then we come along and concentrate on killing the winner, essentially defeating Nature’s plan. How is that a good thing?

Does anyone care to discuss why deer hunting should have always been a game of “my antlers are bigger than yours”? What is there about taking a buck with large antlers that’s better than one with small ones, or even a doe? Is it just a matter of machismo?

Incoming. :)

Spence
Interesting! Many like to make powder measures out of the tips, and of course the mounted antlers for "bragging rights", hung on the wall!

Gone are the days of men getting together and enjoying each others company and participating in the hunt. Gone are the days of "deer camp".
Now fat men sit alone in huts controlling 1000's of acres of hunting land in search of only a trophy to hang on their wall.
It's become a competitive and negative aspect, pitting not man against deer, but man against man for control.
If this hasn't happened to you yet count your blessings, it's probably on it's way.

There is certainly truth in what you say Carbon. Also some generalizations we need to be careful of because while "some guys" are in it for money and/or competition or only want "big buck kill" video for their blogs, TV shows, YouTube videos or whatever else motivates them, many are NOT mature buck hunters for that reason.

I can only speak for myself, but it's TOTALLY me against a mature, highly educated deer. I don't drive around with what I get in the back of my pickup, as someone else here stated. In fact my pickup box cover is closed so NO ONE can see what's in there. It goes straight home is cleaned and processed. AND, the meat is as good as any other deer. Maybe it's because we have wonderful corn, soybean, and alfalfa fed deer in my area, I don't know, but the 7 1/2 YO buck I got was as good, tender, and tasty as any other deer I've taken over the years, be they fawns, young does and bucks, old does, you name it. As I stated earlier, I have never entered any of my bucks for record books and I don't enter deer contests of any kind. Mine is a passion to pit my skills, which BTW usually aren't good enough, against the wariest of bucks. It is also to just sit and watch and learn.

I remember one evening in particular when I had already filled by bow tag on a nice 12 point, but still had a doe tag in my pocket. I went out fully expecting to shoot a doe that evening but the miracle that unfolded before me was a spectacle like I had never seen before or since. It was chase phase of the rut and I saw about 17 different bucks that evening...all 2 1/2 years old or more. I was over a small field with a babbling creek right behind my treestand and it was a crisp autumn day in early November. Every time a doe would come into the field, several bucks would show up to "court her." They sidled at each other, raised their hair, made snort-wheezes and some kind of gutteral sound from deep in their chest I had never heard in person, nor had I ever seen or heard it imitated by any call makers. None of them ever fought, however. Someone always backed down. I had two of those mature bucks literally under my stand. This activity went on for a full three hours! I had numerous opportunities to shoot a doe that evening, but I just could not and would not disrupt the show before me. Had I shot the first doe that walked by that evening, what is probably the BEST hunt of my life would have never happened...and I didn't kill a thing! I remember walking out in the dark thinking "If I die today I have certainly had the best hunting of my life happen this evening." Now, think about something else for a moment...that stand was literally within 100 yards of the intersection of two other properties that have MANY hunters on them. I'm sure that when the gun season started the next morning, someone who really wanted to shoot a doe may have gotten one because I did not shoot. I can't understand how that's bad, and in the late muzzleloader season, after most all of the other hunters had folded up shop and gone home, I filled that doe tag anyway.

I spent 7 years on a lease here in MN with 6 other guys from the panhandle of Florida. We stayed in the old 100 year old farmhouse on an 800 acre lease, of which about 500 was woods to hunt. The lease was owned by an outfitter who had it for about 25 years and used to guide weekly hunts for many, but he was just too old and ailing to do that anymore, so he just made it a lease situation. There was GREAT comradery in the group during the time spent there. Everyone was happy for everyone else's success and not everyone took deer every year. I never once sensed it was a competition between anyone there. They were all very good people just enjoying a week of deer hunting and most all of them were "normal working-class" people who had decided to spend what was a fair amount of their income to have one great week of hunting a year.

All that said, what you stated does exist. In my area leasing has taken thousands of acres out of bounds to guys that do not want to or do not have the means to lease. Larger groups that liked to do deer drives have been heavily impacted. I am no longer in a lease and am now impacted as well with less and less private land available either due to leasing, or to a much larger extent, many landowners simply putting their lands off limits to all but themselves and/or close friends and relatives...and it's mostly driven by the desire to grow and hunt mature deer. This puts more pressure on public lands and any remaining private land where the landowners open their doors to anyone who politely asks. But, I respect the rights of private landowners to do as they please and see fit with their properties and only wish I had the good sense they had to have purchased a larger parcel of land long ago. I don't know what the answer is, but I do fear that available land for "the masses" will continue to shrink.

Long winded, I know, but I'm trying to convey that these generalizations thrown about are, as usual, mostly false as they relate to a general population. All "big buck" hunters aren't selfish slobs that are only interested in money and fame or beating some other hunter. In fact, I'd put it in the minority of those I've met and talked to over the years. Do those kinds of people exist...certainly...but I don't believe it's a majority.

Last edited:
There is certainly truth in what you say Carbon. Also some generalizations we need to be careful of because while "some guys" are in it for money and/or competition or only want "big buck kill" video for their blogs, TV shows, YouTube videos or whatever else motivates them, many are NOT mature buck hunters for that reason.

I can only speak for myself, but it's TOTALLY me against a mature, highly educated deer. I don't drive around with what I get in the back of my pickup, as someone else here stated. In fact my pickup box cover is closed so NO ONE can see what's in there. It goes straight home is cleaned and processed. AND, the meat is as good as any other deer. Maybe it's because we have wonderful corn, soybean, and alfalfa fed deer in my area, I don't know, but the 7 1/2 YO buck I got was as good, tender, and tasty as any other deer I've taken over the years, be they fawns, young does and bucks, old does, you name it. As I stated earlier, I have never entered any of my bucks for record books and I don't enter deer contests of any kind. Mine is a passion to pit my skills, which BTW usually aren't good enough, against the wariest of bucks. It is also to just sit and watch and learn.

I remember one evening in particular when I had already filled by bow tag on a nice 12 point, but still had a doe tag in my pocket. I went out fully expecting to shoot a doe that evening but the miracle that unfolded before me was a spectacle like I had never seen before or since. It was chase phase of the rut and I saw about 17 different bucks that evening...all 2 1/2 years old or more. I was over a small field with a babbling creek right behind my treestand and it was a crisp autumn day in early November. Every time a doe would come into the field, several bucks would show up to "court her." They sidled at each other, raised their hair, made snort-wheezes and some kind of gutteral sound from deep in their chest I had never heard in person, nor had I ever seen or heard it imitated by any call makers. None of them ever fought, however. Someone always backed down. I had two of those mature bucks literally under my stand. This activity went on for a full three hours! I had numerous opportunities to shoot a doe that evening, but I just could not and would not disrupt the show before me. Had I shot the first doe that walked by that evening, what is probably the BEST hunt of my life would have never happened...and I didn't kill a thing! I remember walking out in the dark thinking "If I die today I have certainly had the best hunting of my life happen this evening." Now, think about something else for a moment...that stand was literally within 100 yards of the intersection of two other properties that have MANY hunters on them. I'm sure that when the gun season started the next morning, someone who really wanted to shoot a doe may have gotten one because I did not shoot. I can't understand how that's bad, and in the late muzzleloader season, after most all of the other hunters had folded up shop and gone home, I filled that doe tag anyway.

I spent 7 years on a lease here in MN with 6 other guys from the panhandle of Florida. We stayed in the old 100 year old farmhouse on an 800 acre lease, of which about 500 was woods to hunt. The lease was owned by an outfitter who had it for about 25 years and used to guide weekly hunts for many, but he was just too old and ailing to do that anymore, so he just made it a lease situation. There was GREAT comradery in the group during the time spent there. Everyone was happy for everyone else's success and not everyone took deer every year. I never once sensed it was a competition between anyone there. They were all very good people just enjoying a week of deer hunting and most all of them were "normal working-class" people who had decided to spend what was a fair amount of their income to have one great week of hunting a year.

All that said, what you stated does exist. In my area leasing has taken thousands of acres out of bounds to guys that do not want to or do not have the means to lease. Larger groups that liked to do deer drives have been heavily impacted. I am no longer in a lease and am now impacted as well with less and less private land available either due to leasing, or to a much larger extent, many landowners simply putting their lands off limits to all but themselves and/or close friends and relatives...and it's mostly driven by the desire to grow and hunt mature deer. This puts more pressure on public lands and any remaining private land where the landowners open their doors to anyone who politely asks. But, I respect the rights of private landowners to do as they please and see fit with their properties and only wish I had the good sense they had to have purchased a larger parcel of land long ago. I don't know what the answer is, but I do fear that available land for "the masses" will continue to shrink.

Long winded, I know, but I'm trying to convey that these generalizations thrown about are, as usual, mostly false as they relate to a general population. All "big buck" hunters aren't selfish slobs that are only interested in money and fame or beating some other hunter. In fact, I'd put it in the minority of those I've met and talked to over the years. Do those kinds of people exist...certainly...but I don't believe it's a majority.

Wow, that's too long for me to read, but I think I get your point.

I posted this on another thread but i think it might be fitting here.

I long for the old days, when hunting wasn't so commercialized or politicized. 😞

"I might try the leotards"

I have read that wearing panty hose will help with keeping warm.

They say
Broadway Joe Namath
wore pantyhose.

I might consider the pantyhose
If I was already committed to the
Pink tutu

Jim in La Luz
😎

They say
Broadway Joe Namath
wore pantyhose.

I might consider the pantyhose
If I was already committed to the
Pink tutu

Jim in La Luz
😎

You guys must be Southerners.
Northerners already know they make long Johns that are like leotards or hoes. I'm wearing some right now. Ooooh silky smooth. :D

You guys must be Southerners.
Northerners already know they make long Johns that are like leotards or hoes. I'm wearing some right now. Ooooh silky smooth. :D
I wear green tights, a white shirt, brown jerkin and a green, pointy hat with a feather in it.........

We're men, we're men in tights.
We roam around the forest looking for fights.
We rob form the rich and give to the poor, That's right!
We may look like sissies but watch what you say or else we'll put out your lights!
Always on guard defending the people's rights.

I wear green tights, a white shirt, brown jerkin and a green, pointy hat with a feather in it.........

We roam around the forest looking for fights.
We rob form the rich and give to the poor, That's right!
We may look like sissies but watch what you say or else we'll put out your lights!
Always on guard defending the people's rights.

Yes, Yes, and I'm the fat guy with his head buried in a pint of ale.
1608577843711.png

I hunt because I can and enjoy it. Up here you get one antlered deer with your license. Any other permit, antlerless or extra antlerless is by lottery.
Any deer permitted to me over 150 lbs. is open for business and the freezer. I enjoy a nice rack when it presents itself along with the meat. I enjoy time spent in the woods up here. But I'm happy to say never learned, nor intend to learn how to score a rack of antlers. When my friends call and retell their hunts, we go as far as how many points was he and what was the hanging weight. Meat hunters we are. Rack hunters have their own sport, I guess.
Now I'm going to warm up some of yesterdays venison chili and serve it with scrambled eggs and warm tortillas for breakfast. ;)
Hmmm. invite me to breakfast??

This video clip is traditional archery, but about sums it up for my type of hunting as much as anything could. It's not said in this clip, but as part of the entire Primal Dreams film this clip is a part of they say that to shoot a certain buck or not is up to the individual and only for them to know the reasons why. :thumb: If anyone has produced videos better than the two Primal Dreams productions, I haven't seen them...and zero promotion of any products.

Last edited:
Beautiful doe, Chuck, congratulations. Wish I could have been there with you. That was on my 66th wedding anniversary, what a way to celebrate it that would have been.

Thanks Bob, Don't know how your wife put up with you all those years. My daughter was born on the 19 of Dec. She turned 46 the other day.

You already know this, but you have been married almost long enough to be my pops. Congratulations on your anniversary. As for being there with me, I am pretty boring to be around anymore.

If I remember correctly you've been known to let mature bucks walk in preference to good-eating ones.

Like I said I get my orders from the boss and she wants young ones. I have killed enough big ones, don't need to do that ever again.

I think I must not have asked my question in the right way. Not unusual.

Well wants new?

Personally, I think it's tied to the male ego, which has been around even longer.

It is all ego, but each to his own.

Have you see your boys lately?

Spence

Merry Christmas to all, even in the stressful times we are going through.

chuck40219

Back