• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why I stay away from muzzleloaders with scope mounts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What you should have done (from a guy who drills a lot of holes in the wrong place);

Slightly countersink the top of the screw hole, put a screw plug in with red Loctite that is a little too long. Cut off the screw leaving about 1/16" or less above the barrel and peen the excess screw down into the counter sink. You will still have some screw sticking up, file this off flush with the barrel, sand smooth and re-blue the area with cold blue.

Here is a similar fix in a lock plate when I drilled a hole in the wrong place of the lock bolt. You have to look close to see it, the hole is about 1/8" to the rear of the bolster screw.
lockbolt bad hole filed smooth.JPG

Used plugs and JB Weld then cut and filed plugs smooth I will post pictures of the barrel.
Very interesting I have an early model TC 50 cal Hawker I had a gunsmith drill and tap for scope base he made in his shop worked great for years until Knight came into the picture and I bought my first one. In these later years (now) I have wondered if it is safe I used screws that came from rifles I removed to mount bases and locktite to install

Oh they are still cheap. I just passed up a nice Hawken that went for $80 on an auction. I think its not about taking a chance on a bad barrel or something but that some guns just arent worth much. My god, for many desirable guns people pay $1000, $2000, $4000 on auctions, sight unseen! Couldnt they have bad barrels and parts too?

WE in a group like this, this is the single-shot world and overall, single-shot guns go cheap, whether its a muzzleloader or shotgun or .22. We are tiny fragment of the gun universe which favors repeaters and giant magazines. I promise you, I put up ANY kind of gun with a 20,000rd magazine and mile-a-minute feeding, it wont go for $80 no matter whats inside that barrel --- or even if it has a barrel at all!
I bought a tc 54 for 50 5 years ago that had been dry balled first time it was loaded and never fired first time by owner. It went through several owners with no one evidently knowing how to fix issue. With an hours attention, it made a fantastic shooter about 5 years after orginal owner gave it up.

Latest posts

Back