• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why Do I Do That?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's some food for thought.

In my .50 caliber Great Plains flintlock with round balls over 85 grains of FFg GOEX I get a chronographed average of about 1550 fps at the muzzle. That's works out to about 1020 fps at 75 yards (with 433 ft.lbs. of energy).

If the load is reduced to 70 grains, muzzle velocity will be about 1450 fps, and velocity at 75 yards will be 990 fps (with 409 ft. lbs. of energy).

So, going from 85 grains of powder to 70 grains reduces the powder charge by 18%, the velocity at 75 yards by only 3%, and the energy at 75 yards by only 6%.

To add to the dilemma, the trajectory for the two loads will be almost exactly the same, differing by less than half an inch.

Change the load to FFFg produces a bit higher muzzle velocity with the same 85 grain load. But the reduction ratios work out about the same when reducing the charge to 70 grains.

I know all this. So why do I still use loads in the 85 to 95 grain range in all of my round ball shooters? :hmm:

Kinda fer the same reason I'm shooting 58 and 62 cals for deer when a 45 will kill just fine. Kuzz they're my guns and I get to use what I want! :rotf:

Seriously, I keep my stuff snorted up a bit for more geewhiz up close and personal. My avatar isn't some sleezy copy of an online pic. He and his kind are neighbors known to contest the woods and any fallen deer.

Man Law #4: Enough is enough, more is better, and too much of a good thing is the best.

Semisane said:
BrownBear said:
Kinda fer the same reason I'm shooting 58 and 62 cals for deer when a 45 will kill just fine.

:grin: Now now BrownBear, big balls vs. small balls is a whole `nother story.

Nah. Same-same. When our forebears were using what, 36-40 cal for the most part and not all that much powder? Why would anyone consider anything bigger than 45 cal?

Same for powder charges. Why use more than you absolutely need for the job. Plenty of evidence that small charges work just fine, but like you said.... We're rich folk compared to our ancestors and can afford the luxury of using lots more.

Alden said:
Man Law #4: Enough is enough, more is better, and too much of a good thing is the best.

I was taught to make this a mathematical formula by my old Gunny, and I hate math, but this one makes sense. Now he said this was for figuring how much C-4 to use, but since both C-4 and BP are explosives, it works out...

It is:

P + M = E

Plenty + More = Enough

AZMTNMAN got it right...shoot the load that results in the tightest group.

Semisane said:

I know all this. So why do I still use loads in the 85 to 95 grain range in all of my round ball shooters? :hmm:

Fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun.

using that wonderful formula---we blew the turrent off a M-48a3 tank in RVN..P+M=P works everytime....Tom USMC 1961-66 :eek:ff

Back