• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why Are So Many Guns For Sale Here?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is one guy on here trying to sell a USED percussion rifle from one of the older will known makers for more than new order price at many vendors. And he wants shipping too. A kind pm was sent. No response no reduction. NO ACTIVITY on the post at all. Hmmm. Do your research before you buy if your not familiar with the item.

I don't sell on this forum. However,
I'm not seeing an uptick or downturn.
The only thing that's gone to flat for me is percussion revolvers.

I suppose with the percussion revolvers conversion cylinders were quite hot 20, 2021 part of 2022.
Muzzleloaders pistols rifles & smoothies they're all selling.
Collectable Suppository revolvers rifles ,commemoratives are going within a week and some are sold in 10 minutes via phone or text.

Muzzleloader accessories is a little slow.

Next year things are going to get scarce again. The scalpers & hoarders will be out as well as the scammers.
Conversion cylinders were not hot here ever! Not allowed!
Nit Wit

The prices here always seem to be fair,
I agree that prices are generally fair, and that people will pay what they can afford for something they like. I've bought a couple and sold a couple guns here. Had a couple more that didn't sell and I sent them to Track -which sold them in a couple weeks...I got my original asking price here and Track got 25-30% on top. Which tells me the price was definitely fair and a shame someone paid more than they had to...

There is one guy on here trying to sell a USED percussion rifle from one of the older will known makers for more than new order price at many vendors. And he wants shipping too. A kind pm was sent. No response no reduction. NO ACTIVITY on the post at all. Hmmm. Do your research before you buy if your not familiar with the item.
It's all I can do to not comment when rip off prices are posted.

It's all I can do to not comment when rip off prices are posted.
those are the guys whose old ladies tell them they better get rid of "that manure" so they put it on at crazy prices and then can say.... i tried but no one wanted it. :ghostly: see the same stuff for YEARS at local shows , never sells , they never lower the prices.

What relationship could there be between the national shoot and gun sales? I don't see the connection.
My thinking was that members might be selling off some guns for cash to spend a Friendship or do an upgrade.....

When I ran the ATA we had a lot of people who only came to the Grand American to make purchases during the shoot because of the all the manufactures who were present and dealers who brought a huge selections with them to sell.

As others have mentioned, age has a lot to do with it. I'm down to four ml rifles. One is my NMLRA Bicentennial rifle, Dave Persons built Little Fella and two TC 'half breed' target rifles. I'll soon be offering the half breeds and will keep the other two to pass down to my son.

Real simple answer as to pricing, if you think it's too much go shopping somewhere else. No one forces anyone to buy anything.
Or sell
Track can get a lot of eyes, one sells to track for the convenience
It’s fair, as they provide a service and one hires them.
So sell a two grand rife and get 1750, or sell a 1750 up front

A bunch of us are getting older, and either we don't get into the woods much, or we do but only with one or two of the several guns that we own, have nobody to pass them onto, and thus they might as well be converted to cash and put some groceries on the table?

LD
I’m one of the bunch. I don’t get into the woods much anymore. My hunting buddy and best friend passed away of old age back in May. Part Lab and Pyrenees. Huge fella.
I have a collection of revolvers. A few yanks. Not all the Confederate models. Just three of them left. The others were turned to cash. But unlike you stated, have nobody to pass them on to. I do, my grandson. He’s been shooting them since he was about 7. He’s 18 now. He has a Walker and a Remington. He’s moved on to modern stuff but still has a thrill shooting black powder. But every time he comes over he asks, what ya got new, what ya sell.
Well I’m rambling, I’m done
Stay well everyone

Stuff saved for our kids that they don't want and we, for one reason or another, don't anticipate using again needs to find new homes. Realized it's dumb to pay rent for storage units when no one wants the things stored there.

Part of the fun in antique firearms is sharing the experience with friends. When your friends are all d.e.a.d. or pissing their depends as residents of Sighing Sycamores retirement villa, that glass case of neat things ain't really interesting. Stick around, geezers will be shucking cool stuff more and more. We're the "boomers" and it's "time".
That was actually pretty depressing, unfortunately true.

This is for sure! My son has no nterest in any of my BP stuff except he did want a 12" revolver that was stainless. I didnt know so I sold it. He then mentioned he would have liked it so I got another, blued on super sale. Now he says he only wanted it becuse it was stainless. So I will soon turn that into another rifle or pistol that I LIKE! I need to update my will and have all my stuff auctioned offo right here and give the mney to St Judes or some other good cause!!
I’m in the same situation. My oldest son was my constant companion whenever I went shooting anything from unmentionables to ML. Younger son not as much but still joined in the fun occasionally. Once they started college it all slowed down and now that they are both married and living in the city I don’t see them too often and I’m lucky if they come to shoot once every couple of years.

I have been collecting many new and old firearms for 50 years and many were tucked away in safes and I never used them - was just saving them to leave to my sons. A couple of years ago I decided that they would probably just sell everything when I’m gone so I started selling/trading most of the pieces I never used and getting ones that I take out and enjoy! Told my wife when I pass to sell them all and only keep the ML rifles I made to leave to our boys - maybe they will keep them.

I am envious of everyone who is able to enjoy spending time in the outdoors with their children as they get older.

This is for sure! My son has no nterest in any of my BP stuff except he did want a 12" revolver that was stainless. I didnt know so I sold it. He then mentioned he would have liked it so I got another, blued on super sale. Now he says he only wanted it becuse it was stainless. So I will soon turn that into another rifle or pistol that I LIKE! I need to update my will and have all my stuff auctioned offo right here and give the mney to St Judes or some other good cause!!
Those who get what I have acquired in my life after I’m no longer breathing will have little or no concept of what is of greater or lesser value. I tried once to school them but I think that I heard my words bounce off the wall as they sped through their heads.

For firearms collections I see a post on a regional forum where the poster offers to buy the entire collection, no cherry picking (their words). I think that would be the best way to go. For miscellaneous items we have a local online auction, no shipping so you are limited by what locals are willing to pay, good for buyers not so good for sellers.

Anyway at that point in my “life“ …I won’t care! And, yes, there may come a time when I begin to sell off my worldly possessions…hopefully not simply to eat, but who knows what the future holds for this insane world.

A bunch of us are getting older, and either we don't get into the woods much, or we do but only with one or two of the several guns that we own, have nobody to pass them onto, and thus they might as well be converted to cash and put some groceries on the table?

LD
I think you hit the nail squarely on the head.

Add in the seasonal sales phenomenon. Sales always seem to start to drop in spring almost stop in summer and pick up again in early fall and go nuts in winter.

Latest posts

Back