• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WHOA again ... shipped anutha MZL via US Postal - fees more than DOUBLED!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wow ... and not in a good way ... but I keep records of the size & weight of the boxes, and the fees incurred for any MZL shipment. Within the past year I shipped out wooden boxes up to 73" long weighing 20-pounds for only $39.35, just for the priority shipping charge.

We just shipped out a cardboard box weighing only 13-pounds and the basic Priority shipping cost alone went up to $76! Then with the added fees (penalties?) of $15 for non-standard length, $25 (up from $15!) for non-standard size (pkg volume exceeding 2 cubic-feet) plus $15 for insurance - totaling $131. Yikes!

Tip - To save $$, find another way to ship or if you must ship by USPS, at least keep the box dimensions below that $25 "2 cu-ft" penalty fee size, as that's a killer! Convert the measurements of your box (Length x Width x Height, in inches) to cubic-feet by multiplying that result times 0.0005787.

Last edited:
Too true.

Flat stopped using USPS for anything over 18". Almost all UPS now that FeDex is a joke.

If you add up all the other negatives USPS is a flat loss and i feel sorry for their poor workers.

I'm not sure this is the same everywhere but most of the things I purchase on Amazon are delivered by their own service.
Not here. The huge UPS vans pulled up behind our PO and the pallets of stuff tell the tale. Think 90% of packages coming thru are UPS. Found out recently our PO has a Sunday shift just to handle the UPS incoming load. It also takes 2-3 days AFTER notice that an amazon shipment has arrived till the the time the notice makes it to the PO BOX.

Not here. The huge UPS vans pulled up behind our PO and the pallets of stuff tell the tale. Think 90% of packages coming thru are UPS. Found out recently our PO has a Sunday shift just to handle the UPS incoming load. It also takes 2-3 days AFTER notice that an amazon shipment has arrived till the the time the notice makes it to the PO BOX.
I do see that also at the post office, I suppose maybe it's the difference between Amazon and Amazon prime? Amazon has one of its distribution centers less than 20 miles from where I live.

Amazon has their own delivery service/vehicles, but subs out some deliveries to USPS/UPS as needed.

Amazon laid off a majority of the drivers/delivery persons, as did UPS/FEDEX.

I believe that Amazon's pricing & delivery has generally undercut profits at UPS/FEDEX; but uses them to cut their own cost.

Kinda like looking for the brass ring while riding a carousel

I know one place that sells fishing stuff and they quit selling two (2) piece fly rods because of the new USPS changes in shipping.

Wow ... and not in a good way ... but I keep records of the size & weight of the boxes, and the fees incurred for any MZL shipment. Within the past year I shipped out wooden boxes up to 73" long weighing 20-pounds for only $39.35, just for the priority shipping charge.

We just shipped out a cardboard box weighing only 13-pounds and the basic Priority shipping cost alone went up to $76! Then with the added fees (penalties?) of $15 for non-standard length, $25 (up from $15!) for non-standard length (volume exceeding 2 cubic-feet) and anutha $15 for insurance - totaling $131. yikes!

Tip - To save $$, find another way to ship or if you must ship by USPS, at least keep the box dimensions below that $25 "2 cu-ft" penalty fee size, as that's a killer! Convert the measurements of your box (Length x Width x Height, in inches) to cubic-feet by multiplying that result times 0.0005787.
You need to change your packaging procedures. I just shipped a MZ rifle & a MZ shotgun about a week ago. Box was 54"x14"x4". Gun was in a hard plastic case (I bought at Wally World for $18) inside the box. One was $37 & one was $46. The difference was weight & distance to destination. Both were over 1000 miles away. The hard case is better than insurance as they probably won't pay on any claim anyway. They usually give me the option on how fast it will get there, so I always choose the cheapest (slowest) way. Both boxes got there in 3-4 days. Seperate barrel from the stock to get under the size you are getting penalized for. 73" long & 20 lbs is a problem & buying insurance after building a wooden box for it is unneccesay, IMHO. Just food for thought.

You need to change your packaging procedures. I just shipped …
Just food for thought.
Ha, right … well here’s some Food for YOUR thoughts … as apparently you are ignorant of MZL stock shapes like fishtail stocks or big paddle butt muskets and/or rifle stocks with a lot of drop, e.g., Schuezten or Tyrolean stocks, and that the stocks on muskets are longer than the barrel … so separating them does NOTHING to reduce the size of the shipment.

Believe me … if I could fit a 69” overall length fishtail stocked musket into a short hard plastic case and then ship it all out in a 54” long box I would do it, duh …

Last edited:
Just got another UPS to PO delivery. Clerk says it took 3 days from arrival to front desk due to quantity. Think they have dedicated staff that just handle the ups stuff.

USPS shipping rates have really gone up over just the last two years or less. Shockingly so. During a recent shipment, the Clerk behind the counter even apologized for the cost. He had an embarrassed look on his face. Their current pricing makes one think they are intentionally trying to drive away the longer/heavier (even 20-lbs. ??) package business. Seems like they don't want anything they can't "toss" into a mail bin with one hand.

Rick

Back