• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who do I send my broken 1850's percussion lock to for repairs?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Musketbreath

32 Cal
Reaction score
I just got my barrel back from Bobby Hoyt and installed it, and then the main spring in the lock snapped on the first cock. Looking for recommendations for a good lock smith so I can keep it original parts as much as possible, and put some lead through her soon. Thanks in advance - MB

Main springs aren't difficult to replace yourself. You would need a mainspring vise to do DIY.
The hardest part is finding a replacement spring, depending on what you have.

Call this fella right here. Super nice guy and he can fix anything lock related. He has tons of parts from originals, if not he can make it. Very inexpensive too.
https://www.ackermannarms.com/
Do not know when the last time you contacted phil or if his business has been bought out, but i believe we lost phil? A while back? Phil was a fixture at friendship if we are talking the same fellow. I apologize in advance if i have the wrong gentleman.

Do not know when the last time you contacted phil or if his business has been bought out, but i believe we lost phil? A while back? Phil was a fixture at friendship if we are talking the same fellow. I apologize in advance if i have the wrong gentleman.
His brother Paul is still running the business.

His brother Paul is still running the business.
You are correct. I typed the website in to check, typed it wrong, came up bad. Sent the note, used your link and there he is. Sorry folks, phil knew his stuff.

Unfortunately, I don't believe Earl Kathan does this work anymore. Let us know if you hear different. Sure miss him.

Paul Akermann recently finished two locks for me. Good recommendation.

Rick

Thanks again everyone for all the quick responses. I called Earl Kathan, but the number was disconnected. Then I called Paul Ackermann at Ackermann Arms, and he said to send my old lock right down to him, and he would get right on it. Lock going out tomorrow. I will report on the repair when I get it back. Happy shootin' - MB

I just got my lock back from Paul Ackermann. The main spring was broken and hammer was pretty loose to tumbler. He fixed it for $43! Very happy so giving a shout out to Paul, and highly recommend him for lock repairs. His contact info is here. Happy shooting -MB
20210611_174109.jpg

Latest posts

Back