• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

white mountain carbine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navaman

36 Cal.
Reaction score
has anybody out there used Lee real bullets. i cast a bunch of them and i've got some 777 powder. can anyone suggest a good load. oh, by the way i'm going after some big feral hogs. i was going to use the hodgdon powder scale but i thought one you might have a good one

I stopped using my White Mountain in 93' so it's been a while. I had one of the first ones with 1-20 twist in .50 cal. Spent one summer shooting a bunch of differant bullets and never found one that was better than the 370 maxi-ball. It liked 80 grains of FF Gorex bore button and maxi the best but wasn't bad at 100 grains either. I used the 100 grain load for hunting and took a few nice deer with it before moving on to another gun.

I've just acquired one with a 38" twist, and am not satisfied with the 245 Grain Ballet preformance. Next up some 250 grain R. E. A. L.s that I haven't cast yet. I gotta git busy, purty soon though, Hog season's only 47 weeks away. :rotf:

i was in kind of a rush. the wife wants me wrap presents but i should have told you guys what i'm using in a little more detail. first, i'm using FFG hodgdon 777 powder and i have a choice between two bullets. i have some t/c maxi-hunter 275 bullets and i have a bunch of LEE 250 grain R.E.A.L. bullets i cast myself. i'm going after some feral hog and i think they will be in the 250 lb. range. i should have told you all this earlier but well , you know. thanks for the responses. p.s. i got that fast 1 : 20 twist

Well I know I never got a maxi-hunter to shoot as accurate as the maxi-ball out of mine. Can't remember the weight I tried but I do remember I couldn't get a decent group with those.

faster the twist the longer the bullet needs to be.1-20 twist Use the longest you can find .

well, the t/c maxi-hunter at 275 grains are sure a lot longer than my lee 250 grain real bullets. but i've only got 20 of the maxis. if it don't long to work up a load i'll be alright. (there's no stores around here to just walk in and buy some.) i'm in a pretty remote area

What's remote in Texas. The wife says it's 150 miles to from here to get anywhere.
Fox :hatsoff:

our town has a population of about 5500. the nearest place where there are sporting good stores for archery and muzzleloading supplies is 176 miles NE of us in midland tx.

SwampRat
Couldn't a guy put a diffrent barrel in that stock? Like a longer barrel or at least a slower twist. I know of a white mountain rifle at a fair price. I have thought of buying it, but the fast twist barrel would not be very good for RB. I like the rifle fit.

I would have no idea on that Hacksaw. As I said I retired mine in 93' and just sold it a couple of years ago. Not really sure why it went that way anymore either...it was a dandy little rifle that worked great for me the time I used it but I guess I just had to have something newer at the time. I do regret not keeping that gun though.

Yes I know that feeling well. I wished I had a 1/10th of the guns I have sold back. I will do some checking with GM.

silverfox said:
What's remote in Texas. The wife says it's 150 miles to from here to get anywhere.
Fox :hatsoff:

El Paso is! LOL
We're not near anything or anywhere. Or maybe it's just that nothing wants to be near us. I can't blame them there. :haha:

that's the question i was gonna post. t/c makes a rifle that is the same thing as a white mountain carbine but it's called a penn hunter. the only difference is the barrel. the penn hunter has the the 1:60 twist. i'm wonderering if i bought that barrel if i could shoot those LEE R.E.A.L. bullets that are so short and get some accuracy. what do ya'll think?

okay, okay. it must have been a stupid question but that's why i'm still a .32. if it weren't for ya'll i'd be even more lost :redface:

You want to go from a conical twist barrel to a roundball twist barrel and then try to shoot a conical? :hmm: Not sure lol but good luck!

i see what you mean. not a good thought but that's why i'm grateful for all of you. as you can see i'm greener than snot. but through this all i'm wonderering what good are those bullets i cast?

Latest posts

Back