• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which '51 Navy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After a long hiatus from black powder, I jumped back in with both feet! (BTW-I found this forum and love it!) I have a ROA that is a real pleasure to shoot and am now thinking about getting a '51 Navy (or two). Is Uberti better than Pietta since they went to CNC or is it six of one and half a dozen of the other? I am hoping to shoot it a lot.

I got several of both. The Uberti's usually look better, but my Pietta's shoot better. These are generalizations, and the differences in accuracy are slight enough to be negligible, as is the difference between more recent Pietta's fit and finish vs. the Uberti, which in times past was clearly superior. My favorite revolver is a stock Pietta 1851 Navy, it has had 10,000+ balls thru it. I shoot clay pigeons at 50 yards with it, and a metal plate 6"×8", at 100 yards. I don't hit everytime, but when I miss, it isn't the guns fault. You WILL have to replace springs and such, Uberti or Pietta, if you shoot it a lot. I keep a bunch of those little doo-dads on hand, realizing that current Italian metallurgy is probably not quite the equal of mid 19th century quality. My Uberti's use a .380 ball, while the Pietta's are fine with either .375 or .380. Never have shot conicals, but just from observation it seems the Uberti would be the better choice, as it seems better manufactured from the factory with a larger opening with which to get the bullet under the rammer.

PastorB did a good evaluation.

Only unknown is, what are the incoming pistols from Europe going to be like after the virus? Most of the factories have been down for a long time. Most distributors have been out of stock on pistols since last year.

Who knows what is in store.

I have not owned a Uberti but I have owned 3 Piettas and all three work well and are finished well. They are no Colts but still well made.
I can switch out all three barrels to any of the frames and the fit is perfect on all.
The action is a bit gritty but I can smooth it out later.
I like Pietta but I don't try and make believe they are Colts because they are far from it but I do make them my own.

Never have shot conicals, but just from observation it seems the Uberti would be the better choice, as it seems better manufactured from the factory with a larger opening with which to get the bullet under the rammer.

I have only been able to load conicals in my Uberti 1851 after modifying the loading port (don’t know what else to call it) by grinding it with a Dremel tool and hand finishing it to make it large enough. I didn’t take a before picture but it was even smaller than the loading port in my Colt 2nd gen 1851. (Both are pictured below for comparison.) I looked carefully at photos of originals before I tackled the Uberti and I was terrified the whole time I would screw it up. I think it came out OK. BTW, I can load conicals in the 2nd gen but it’s a tight fit. I don’t plan to do the same work in it.

Attachments

• 804DAD71-0DD8-4A93-905F-1E6F1696AB49.jpeg
    804DAD71-0DD8-4A93-905F-1E6F1696AB49.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 50
PastorB summed it up really well,
or this;
or is it six of one and half a dozen of the other?
Both are factory assembled. And as such a gun of either brand can be improved with modest/simple hand finishing.
If your going to shoot a lot,, you'll end up doing a little fine tuning to either one.
Of course second hand guns may have been abused and suffer from several complications, but one of either brand in good condition will function just fine.
Tip's-an-tricks to get'm running smooth can be found here or all over the net today,, ;)

That said, if you put a Uberti and a Pietta in front of me in the same condition and the same price,, I'd grab the Uberti.

Last edited:
Either way you are buying a working "gun kit" and either make will need adjustment. I prefer Pietta mostly because the arbor fit is correct. Appearance is fine but I want serviceability. All my handguns have been qualified gunsmith improved and go BANG with regularity.
Respectfully
Bunk

Welcome to the Forum and welcome back to the addiction of black powder. Any Pietta I've had in the last ten years or so has been fine: nicely finished and fully functional. (These imports can always be slicked up if you want but they will shoot.) I'm no expert but that has been my experience.

By the way, with that ROA, you already have the best cap and ball revolver ever made, IMHO. I treasure mine. But that hasn't kept me from getting Colt and Remington style repros. ;)

Jeff

Back