• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Whhellock Cannon Lock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've not, but I have seen flintlock locks on cannons (ships usually, where lit matches, wooden ships and cramped gun decks have somewhat of a problem co-mingling together, LOL!

I would opine that a wheellock lock was far too expensive and even too unreliable* to be used on a huge cannon, when a match or punk would easily (and cheaply!) suffice.

*Historically speaking from actual writings of the day, wheellocks were judged to be only 75% reliable! That is why you see many with either 2 wheels and dogs on them, or even a matchlock serpentine added, just hung from the other direction than the wheellock dog.

The reason for me asking this is that I was offered some cannon locks. At the time I was discussing wheellocks with my friend and mistakenly thought that the cannon locks were wheellocks. They are indeed, flintlocks. I will post pictures of of the locks when I receive them.

Last edited:
Here are pics
IMG_3952.jpeg
IMG_3951.jpeg
IMG_3953.jpeg

The heyday of the wheellock is a “no bad ideas in brainstorming”/“there is a prototype for everything” period of weapon design, so anything is possible. Sovereigns loved to show off their artillery in this period and their personal wheellock collections, so someone may have thought to combine the two. I am not aware of any, however.

Back