• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where to put powder measure

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whang?

The meaning must have changed since I went to high-school or that would hurt, and plenty.

Answered my own question:

whang 1 (hwng, wng)
n.
1. A thong or whip of hide or leather.

Apparantly the "h" is the key. :wink:

Trench said:
I just made a powder measure from some deer antler. I'm wondering how or where others place it in their possibles bag. Is there a PC way of doing this? Does it matter? Do you put it in your bag, or does it hang outside the bag somewhere?

If you spend more time in the hills than on the range, you want to minimize stray noises and lanyards/straps/thongs/whangs/cords/twine that will spend way too much time hanging up in brush. There's a contradiction there, because when the straps are short enough to minimize hangups in brush, then things like measures and loading blocks start to rattling on horns.

I keep my measure on about a 10" cord attached to the keeper strap on my horn stopper. That's handy because I am always reminded to go ahead an restopper the horn before pouring the charge down the bore for safety.

With the horn mounted right on top of the bag, the measure goes down into the bag to keep it under control until I need it. Then it's just a quick tug on the cord to pop it out of the bag without opening the bag.

"Whang?"

Thong, strip, the same thing is called different things byu many, my cousin called the stripps of leather he use "whangs" many years ago and the it is where I picked it up, I do understand your concern however :shocked2: ..and how PC carrying a measure is is pretty much up to the individual there are few surviving period complet outfits to go by, I suspect the methods were as varied as today.

I made a copy of a pouch found in grants book that had two little pockets on the strap made to hold the measures...would work nice for a pair of nice metal tubular style measures....even though a deer tine measure was pictured in the book, and I suspect it may have been a later marrige, I added it too anyway.
AAD-333_1.jpg

T.C.A.

measure2.jpg

The measure is carried on the horn strap. I can tighten the thong "whang" to keep it from catching up. The pick screws in to the holder. Whistle required for my unit. I use the evil 4F, so I carry a pan charger and whisk on a thong around my neck. Here it is tucked in to prevent noise. Same with the bullet board. The short starter usually rides in 2 holes in the bag strap.

As for #7, well, um, I need more outdoor time!

A well thought out system. Everything handy for a few reloads without ever going in the bag. My outfit is a little different, but, over the years, I have also aquired number 7. Most folks don't like to stand in front of me cause those pewter buttons can be lethal if they let loose.

My shooting bag strap is two layers thick, so I simply cut a small slit to accomodate my powder measure and added 2 stitches immediately below it to prevent its' going too deep. I secure it with a piece of whang to the strap to provide security and allow me to simply drop the measure if I'm re-loading in a hurry. Another slit, slightly higher on the strap holds my short starter.

I attached a leather thong to the measure and tied the other end to a D ring where my pouch strap is attached. When not in use I put it inside the pouch.

My measure hangs by a small handmade jack chain off the ring on my bag strap.Reason being it wont rot.I lost a nice measure once when the leather whang it was hanging from disintegrated. I also ran into this same cure in the book "Hunting bags and Powder Horns of Southern Appalachia"

This one is from the North American Ethnographic Collection at the American Museum of Natural History;

from Santa Fe
501_2715.jpg

Wow, thanks for that picture. It's neat to see something original like that. I see the horn in attached to the bag and the charger is dangling from the outside also, but lower than everything else to keep from clanging.

If you're into fine jewelry, you can also wear it on a thong around your neck. That way, 1 charger can be used for different rifles. This one throws 40 grains for my .40, and a double charge is good for my .54. I also like it around my neck because it doubles as a whistle for my dog. I know of 1 18th century reference that would seem to indicate that some back then also used it as a whistle.
IMG_0788.jpg

My Brass measure is thonged to my horn strap. When loading I place the butt of the rifle on top of my boot. I grasp the barrel with my right hand. The measure stays in my left shirt pocket (attached to the thong). I place the measure in my right hand fingertips (same ones holding the barrel. Grab the horn and pour with my left hand. Then grab the measure with my left hand and pour.....I know...too much info!!

SDC10063.jpg

My measure is attached by a braintan thong to my horn. The thong is long enough to let the measure tuck well down into my shot pouch. Well down in because when roaming the woods you don't want anything to get caught and pull out or off. Ask me how I know, lol. Anyway it tucks down far enough it can't get pulled out easily, yet when needed I hook my finger in the thong and give a firm pull to bring it out of the pouch. Looking at my pic again I wanted to note that usually the thong hangs to the inside of the horn not as seen.

the best place i found for mine is inside of my shooting puch that way it dose not hang on anything or dose not get in my way, but try different things to see what u like

Back