• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's your favorite tent and why?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahh well it was an experiment for the drying agent-- I went to a local department store and picked up a few cans of camp dry. It works well but can be costly I bought them when they were on sale. I only had a couple of spots that dripped during the t-storm that accompied the tornado warning. The only problem with one at 7x7 is once you find a position to lay in you can't move around much. I am still working on the best way to lay in it. I layed high point to groung point with my toes at the end that meets the ground the 7 footer works for me since I an only 5'8" if your taller you might go with the 8x8 or even a 9x9 but remeber your footprint will be much larger and in tight spots you will have trouble fitting it in. Also that big 9x9 you might as well use a wedge.

Howdy crockett...since i have had my Baker, it hasnt rained yet, so I cant say with all assurity how well it does. I have a flap that lowers down in addition to the fly, so i expect no real problems unless we get one of those 3 day rains....or was that 40 days and nights...anyway, still love the view I get from the Baker....

I think white men were meant to live with four walls!....Now that I said that! I'll explain!

Guess I have always been a sucker for canvas tents....period! Since 1975, I have had a Whalen Leanto, a Baker, two teepee's, Diamond Tarp and other various configurations of tarp shelters, two Marquese and lastly a big 14'X16'X9'high Wall tent. The wall tent was the best! I had a woodburning stove and bunks to stay off the cold ground! You probably know about our Nebraska winters and I have stayed in my "Wally" down to -26 below and the wind past blizzard stage, and kept comfortable to keep warm, while others headed for the cabin. Ya don't need one as big as the one I had, but it was also nice on those rainy wet days, when the kid's of mine had a space to play and get out of the weather and mom and dad's hair!

Rick

A wall tent is hard to beat- really a canvas cabin when you think about it- especially with a stove. Between the Whelan and the Baker- which did you prefer and why?

Baker!...A pain to erect, especislly on windy days by myself, but I went as far as putting a stove ring on the sidewall and had a neat little stove inside for winter camping!.....Worked for me!

Rick

My small Bellback wedge has donew well on a few Nov. camps in the Oregon costal Mts with a few inches of rain and 40-mph wind gust.I think mine is around 9'x9'x7'high with a 2'bell.two verts 1 horizontal which are easiest cut at site where permissable. lots of room for one guy and lots of gear or two and minmal gear or store gear under tarps outside.

10x12x6 walltent with a sewn in floor and a woodstove. It involves about 15 minutes of cussing setting it up, but it is well worth the investment. 20 degrees outside, T-shirts inside, and very comfortable stable temps. Mine is a Montana Canvas, got it at Cabela's. Got the joint kit and then just used 3/4 EMT conduit for poles. Heavy frame, but the thing is rated for 80 mph winds. One tough tent. Does not leak a drop, last hunt it rained 2 solid days, dry as bone inside. Have a cabin anywhere I want to go.

-Ron

Twin389.jpg

Back