• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's the difference in lock types?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col. Batguano

75 Cal.
Reaction score
What's the appearance, construction, functional and operating difference between the following types of locks?;
miquolet, snaphaunce, snap hance, arquebus

Apart from a wheel lock and match lock / snapping match lock, are there others in the "arcane lock field (besides the dog lock, flint lock, and percussion) I've missed?

Col. Batguano:

What's the appearance, construction, functional and operating difference between the following types of locks?;

Apart from a wheel lock and match lock / snapping match lock, are there others in the "arcane lock field (besides the dog lock, flint lock, and percussion) I've missed?

An Arquebus is not a lock type, but rather a short barreled arm of a smaller caliber.

LS.gif

LM.gif

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

And on an Italian Miquelet the Main Spring presses down on the toe rather than up on the heel as in this Spanish example.

Col. Batguano said:

As far as I understand, there is a two different group of locks:
- with the vertical sear;
- with the horizontal sear.

First group was developed later and includes "true flintlocks" (with the frizzen instead of the separate steel and the pan cover) and Italian snaphaunces (with the separate steel and the automatically opened pan cover).

Second group is a way earlier and includes no less than two branches of locks:
- miquelets that have distinction of the frizzen (including Spanish patilla and Italian "alla micheletta", Roman lock and Spanish agujeta, and Arab toe-lock);
- snaplock that have distinction of the separate steel and pan cover (including Scandinavian and Karelian lock, snaplock and snaphaunce).

Alden said:
And on an Italian Miquelet the Main Spring presses down on the toe rather than up on the heel as in this Spanish example.

There is two Spanish miquelet locks: the "patilla" (with the main spring pressing on the heel) and the "agujeta" - the offspring of the Roman lock (Italian miquelet) with just one sear under the toe.
The offspring of the "agujeta" is the Arab toe-lock - the sear was repositioned to work on cock's heel.

Back