• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's in your shooting bag?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Boylan

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Being new to the flintlock, I've been working on getting together a shooting bag and trying to keep it somewhat HC. Just for kicks and giggles. Here are some pictures of the various items I have in my shooting bag. I know some probably belong in a haversack, but I just keep them in my shooting bag so I don't have to haul around a bunch of different bags. This one goes with my outfit so much better. :haha:

The bag and my hawk.
IMG_20150110_213536_zpsudjbb6gr.jpg
[/URL][/img]

My powder measure.
IMG_20150110_213517_zpsqetalcyf.jpg
[/URL][/img]

My bullet bag and my fire starting kit.
IMG_20150110_150404685_zps4giilaau.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Another shot of my powder measure. Closer one.
IMG_20150110_213517_zpsqetalcyf.jpg
[/URL][/img]

My horn.
IMG_20150110_150534072_zpsyw3gpibi.jpg
[/URL][/img]

My basic kit in my deer hunting shooting bag is shown below:

From left to right:

Short Starter
Hunting Knife - this was a handmade knife by a friend of mine. The blade is forged from a '69 GTO Coil Spring. Curly Maple handle. Fairly short and very functional. A little brain-tanned deer hide over a leather sheath.
Capper if Percussion; Pan primer, brush, and pick if flintlock
Powder Flask or sometimes a horn
Hunting License
CO2 Discharger
Ball Block
Cows Knee
Flint Wallet if taking a flintlock

Not pictured is a TC 4-1 Speed Loader which would double as a measurer if I ever needed more than two shots. In 15 years I've never even needed the speed loader! :grin:

I'll also throw in some candy bars or something to munch on for the day and a bottle of water.

Good gear!

My rifle pouch has the following:

HPIM0448.jpg

HPIM0440.jpg

HPIM0870.jpg

My fowling bag is a little simpler.
HPIM2713.jpg

And I have since dumped the ball-block for paper cartridges.
DSCN0119.jpg

The shot bag holds 12 1-1/4 oz loads and the antler plug is hollowed to measure that much out.

HPIM1205.jpg

DSCN0156.jpg

And I have a little flat priming horn I now use instead of the little brass priming flasks.
DSCN0143.jpg

DSCN0144.jpg

And for either firelock a waxed cows knee for the drizzly days.
HPIM0381.jpg

Iowa, If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your powder measure from? I've seen a couple here and there but they don't look that nice. Did you make it?

I've tried making one but again.... It's functinal but not that nice. :wink:

Hey Stump Killer, just curious , what do you keep in the brass rifle cartridge?

I wish I had the skills to make a powder measure like that. I actually bought it off of a guy on e-bay that makes them. He's very skilled and they are affordable.

As you might notice mine has a brass pin that measures 45 grains and when it's filled up to the brim it's holding 60 grains.

The measure was made and sold by a seller named hebelroberts123.

I just looked and it appears that most of what he's selling now is knives, but I would think that if you contacted him he could make one for you. When I bought mine he had numerous for sale and of many different measures/grains.

Gentlemen, nice collections. I'm still working on mine. Someday I hope to have a well stocked bag like you two have.

I've got to take a picture of my knife. It's a beauty. :grin:

IowaShooter said:
I wish I had the skills to make a powder measure like that. I actually bought it off of a guy on e-bay that makes them. He's very skilled and they are affordable.

As you might notice mine has a brass pin that measures 45 grains and when it's filled up to the brim it's holding 60 grains.

The measure was made and sold by a seller named hebelroberts123.

I just looked and it appears that most of what he's selling now is knives, but I would think that if you contacted him he could make one for you. When I bought mine he had numerous for sale and of many different measures/grains.

Perfect thanks! He does have one listed made out of buffalo horn with brass pins like yours. Didn't notice that at first, but very nice!

Also, great ideas as to what to add to a shooting bag. Thanks for posting... its helped me as well.

Went to Ebay looking for hebelroberts123 but not listed. Wanted to see what he had for sale I need some help.
Thanks in advance.

Heck, I'm getting lots of ideas from what everyone else has in their bag.

I've got a few things in my bag I didn't show because I figured everyone has them in theirs. Things like a patch knife, spare flints, touch hole pick and brush, abundance of cleaning patches, abundance of lubed loading patches, etc. I figured much of that stuff wasn't worth showing. But looking at what others have shown just gives me lots of ideas of things I need to add to mine.

A period screwdriver would be nice. I'll have to start the search for one of them.

Maybe a nice leather flint wallet instead of keeping mine in a paper wallet that they were sent to me in.

The ideas just flood me when shown what others are deeming a must have. :thumbsup:

Swede50 said:
Went to Ebay looking for hebelroberts123 but not listed. Wanted to see what he had for sale I need some help.
Thanks in advance.

Information sent via PT.

AHA!!!! Somebody else also uses an 1911 dis-assembly tool! One of my rifles doesn't have a screw slot on top of the cock, but a nice little hole, and a 1911 tool fits it nicely, plus gives me a small screwdriver to remove the lock.

trent/OH said:
AHA!!!! Somebody else also uses an 1911 dis-assembly tool! One of my rifles doesn't have a screw slot on top of the cock, but a nice little hole, and a 1911 tool fits it nicely, plus gives me a small screwdriver to remove the lock.

Exactly. My Bess had a hole in the top jaw screw and I used it for that. The little "nick" in the corner I added with an emory wheel and is great for nibbling the edge of a flint to sharpen it up. Just too handy not to carry.

After looking at all of the gear y'all have I realize I have a ways to go. Beautiful, well thought out; has to add much to your experience.

USMA65 said:
After looking at all of the gear y'all have I realize I have a ways to go. Beautiful, well thought out; has to add much to your experience.

"The journey of a thousand shots begins with a single powder horn". :grin:

I must be doing it pretty good then. I use everything in my bag when I go shooting. The only thing that I probably don't use when shooting is my fire starting kit. But I like playing with that too and it could come in handy someday when/if I ever get to go out wandering in the woods and need to warm by a fire. I've gotten pretty good at using the flint and steel to get my charcloth going. I'm not super fast at it, but I can get a fire going in a few minutes.

Thought I would add to this my knife. I carry this knife in my belt when I'm out shooting. The blade is around 8 inches long and total length is a little over 11 inches. It's razor sharp and very well made.

Latest posts

Back