• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What would you build with this barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich pierce

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked up on a good deal a Long Hammock barrel.
Oct to round, wedding ring, .24 ga or .58 caliber, 46" long. It normally would have gone into a Chambers New England Fowler kit.

It will probably be a year before I get to using it as I have a build in progress and I have the next build planned.

But just for fun, what would YOU build/have built with such a barrel? The kicker is the small gauge, which leaves out some options in my mind. Early NE fowlers are out as they were 12 ga or larger most of the time, Hudson Valley fowlers are out for me because although the length could be OK for a later one, the gauge is small.

So far on my daydream list:

1) A type G trade gun, beech stock, painted with floral motifs like the "Bumford" gun. I know, should be .62 and 48" long, but we're close. It would run a little heavier than the originals. Might not hurt the offhand round ball accuracy, eh?

2) 1775-1790 English fowler. This would be challenging for me, with the engraving and all.

3) Pennsylvania smooth rifle or fowler, maybe a long Bucks County gun or a Fainot like KF-1 in Grinsdale's book.

4) An early Dutch trade gun with a Rifle Shoppe lock, one of those 1600's straight-plated tear-drop tail locks, or even one of those early Dutch locks with the wheel-lock plate. I know, should be 60" long.

could it be used for a wilson trade gun or a french fusil?

How about something out of the norm..I know it's later but dang it's a nice piece and teh caliber is right on and 46" barrel is well within the know lengths for this type...........

chiefs-gun-005.jpg

chiefs-gun-002.jpg

chiefs-gun-003.jpg

chiefs-gun-004.jpg

one of Jim's Late Ketlands would be just about perfect for the lock......

I would go with an "type G" cieca 1740 +/- there are not a lot of them out there and they are really nice looking guns for trade guns, if I ever make another I think that would be the one.I find the .58 bore to work well with 1 1/8 oz of shot on squirrels I have not really done any patterning yet as the first day out with shots the squirrels kept falling so I juast stayed with the load I began with I think it was 60 gr 3f over powder card ball and thin over ball card, I think I used wasp nest for a couple of shots as the over powder "card" these shots were all under 20 yds most under 10 yards.I think a "G" would be a nice light gun with that barrel, unless it is the same profile as a .62 or larger and has a lot of barrel wall thickness for the full length.

Rich--I vote for the Fainot. It's such a pretty little gun, and I've never seen one built by anyone. You'd have to make the side plate and the other furniture would be a bit of a challenge, but in the end you would have a handsome and very useful light fowler. :thumbsup:

Years ago, I saw a half stock .28 gauge, half octagon, half round barrel gun made by someone here In Illinois. Actually there were two guns. He has " Gussied " them up a bit too much for my taste- with silver overlays, and even camoflage Paint to the barrel! (UGH!) But they were sweet to hold and swing. I don't think they weighed more than 5 lbs. Barrels were about 36 inches. They were flintlocks, BTW, and that is part of the reason I stopped to ask questions and take a long look. Don-Pappy-Horne was showing them to a couple of others, when I walked up. I don't know who made the guns, but Don did.

With that long barrel, I can understand why you are thinking Full Stock, and I probably would be too. I just looked that Grinslade's book at KF-1, and I can see why it was recommended to you.

I would go with either your option 2 or 3. I don't know much about it but you may also be able tohave someone rifle the barrel and make an octagon to round 58 cal rifle. Just another idea tomake your deciion that much eh easier. :thumbsup:

Sounds like a can't loose situation! For me, I love those sleek Bucks county smooth rifles, especially with a hooked breech and a few adornments unique to that area. Number two would be the English fowler, maybe cause I have a french one in progress, hmmm, what to do? These are the decisions that are fun to make, good luck!
Robby

Hi Rich! Just in case I failed to mention it--I'm old and my memory ain't what it used to be--I'd like to cast a vote for the Fainot fowler. If you don't mind, I'd like to vote often, too. This is a golden opportunity to make a unique and elegant light birding piece that is never seen by most folks. :thumbsup:

Yeah, it's a tough dilemma. They use the same profile for the .62 and the .58 so it's a thicker barrel; weighs a bit more, but I'll enjoy shooting round ball with it no matter what it becomes, and shot as the need arises. I've never been much of a wingshooter with a flintlock but maybe this will help me swing through.

I don't see too many nice Pennsylvania fowlers made and the lines of that Fainot really appeal to me. It would put me closer to 1800.

This stuff is fun to think about, for sure. In addition to this barrel I have a 54", 12 ga round Ed Rayl barrel in stock for my planned Hudson Valley Fowler (ca 1765) and a 42", 20 ga oct to round barrel in stock (still thinking about what to use that for; it is not very light at the muzzle either so may end up in a smooth rifle application) and an original 12 ga round barrel just 30" long. Of these I'll end up keeping just one. And you can bet it's not going to be the 30" round 12 ga barrel. That will have to become a "coach gun" I think. Or a tomato stake.

I figure I do need a trade gun; everybody should have one. Living close to Fort De Chartres maybe it should be a fusil de chasse, but I do hanker for an early type G.

LaBonte, that's a very cool gun and would be a one-of-a-kind, for sure and good for the shinin times.

Since the barrel walls are so thick, another option is to cut it down for pistol barrels. :shocked2: :v

Or the Fainot gun would be a second option. :grin:

Remember that the french ceded the Illinois country to the English in 1763, so the frogs ain't got no monopoly on the fort or its environs, so a good English fowler might be another good option.

Moreover, it seems that Engish guns rule the smoothbore and military competitions there...when we are allowed to compete. Don't wanna be associated with losers, now do we? :rotf: :rotf:

God bless

My uncle and I have identicle .58 caliber trade guns. I believe they are nwtg styled but not entirely sure. Ours have 36" barrels with full stocks. The short length makes them light and comfortable. Great for birds. My uncle and I love ours. Just a suggestion if you have any interest in cutting the barrel down.

rich pierce said:
Long barrels are hard to come by; ain't no cutting them down! :haha:

That's a famous quote from some guy named Fainot, isn't it? Gunmaker wasn't he? :rotf:

rich pierce said:
Long barrels are hard to come by; ain't no cutting them down! :haha:

Now Rich, just think how much money you would save by cutting the barrel down to make a canoe gun AND a 10 inch pistol. :hmm: :v :rotf: :rotf:

5) European late-17th to mid-18th century fowler. See
http://www.hermann-historica.de/auktion/hhm50.pl?f=NR&c=28378&t=temartic_S_GB&db=S-50.txt
Antonio Franzino, Gardone, circa 1680. Octagonal barrel becoming faceted after a baluster. Smooth bore in 15 mm calibre with a brass front sight. Signed "Antonio Franzino" on the breech. Iron flintlock, the cambered lockplate is inscribed "Fran. Garatto". Walnut fullstock with cut iron furniture and a side plate in the shape of entwined vines. Wooden ramrod. Length 133 cm. Antonio Franzino, Gardone Val Trompia, ca. 1660-97. Francesco Garatto, Brecia, ca. 1640-90.
http://www.hermann-historica.de/auktion/hhm50.pl?f=NR&c=44959&t=temartic_S_GB&db=S-50.txt
German/Dutch, circa 1720. Octagonal barrel merging to round, smooth bore in 17 mm calibre. Cambered lockplate. Upper cock jaw and cock screw are missing. All metal parts darkened. The entire stock is of walnut with a modest amount of carving, a piece is missing from the left side of the forearm. Brass furniture. Butt plate is inscribed "No. 4". Later carbine staple on a brass barrel band. Iron ramrod does not belong. Length 147 cm.
http://www.hermann-historica.de/auktion/hhm50.pl?f=NR&c=35343&t=temartic_S_GB&db=S-50.txt
Juan Peresteva, Barcelona, ca. 1735. Octagonal barrel, round after a cut baluster, in 15 mm calibre, with four stamped crosses and two marks with the remnants of gold filling at the breech. One mark reads "P. STEVA" with a crown, the second is difficult to read. Finely engraved lockplate with the signature "P. Steva". Lightly carved half stock, the forearm broken and with minor damages. Small defect on the lock. Richly profiled, fire-gilded brass furniture, the escutcheon with an engraved Maltese? cross. Ramrod missing. Length 139 cm.
Juan Peresteva, recorded 1694 - 1737. During the period 1720 - 30, he held the position of Royal Armourer to the King of Spain. See Stöckel, p. 937.
http://www.hermann-historica.de/auktion/hhm52.pl?f=NR&c=59196&t=temartic_S_GB&db=kat52_S.txt
Bongarde in Düsseldorf, circa 1730. Two-stage barrel, an octagonal section then round with a smooth bore in 17 mm calibre. Brass bushed vent. Lockplate engraved with the signature, "Bongarde à Dusseldorp." Lightly carved walnut half stock with fire-gilded brass furniture, gilding worn. Wooden ramrod with horn tip. Length: 151 cm. Johann Wilhelm Bongarde (1686 - 1770) was the elector's court gunsmith.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back