• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After some recent frustration with my Frontier flintlock, I had a great day with it at the range. Changed things up a bit, but the biggest change was switching from Schutzen 3fg to Goex 3fg. With the Schutzen I have had misfires, hangfires, and pan flashes. Enough that I lost confidence in whether or not the rifle would fire. That sure messes with your POI. Played with flints, angles, etc. The Goex today changed all that. I put 30+ shots downrange today with 1 flint, and all went kaboom just like it's supposed to.
Also found out that my rifle hates .490 lead balls. I set up 3 paper targets at 25 yds.
- .480 ball, .010 patch, 50 grains Goex = 4 out of 5 in the middle
- .495 ball, .010 patch, 60 grains Goex = 3 out of 5 in the middle
- .490 ball, .010 patch, 50 or 60 grains Goex = 1 out of 5 on the 12" circle, bottom left nowhere near the bullseye...4 not even on the paper!

I could not believe it. I hit steel at 50 yds with the .480 ball, but absolutely nothing with the .490 balls, not just today but most of the last few outings. But the difference in powder and consistent ignition was very surprising.

Flintlocks....funny little fellers ain't they? My caplock seems ok with .490's so I have no idea what the deal is but happy I can hit something with my flintlock.

After some recent frustration with my Frontier flintlock, I had a great day with it at the range. Changed things up a bit, but the biggest change was switching from Schutzen 3fg to Goex 3fg. With the Schutzen I have had misfires, hangfires, and pan flashes. Enough that I lost confidence in whether or not the rifle would fire. That sure messes with your POI. Played with flints, angles, etc. The Goex today changed all that. I put 30+ shots downrange today with 1 flint, and all went kaboom just like it's supposed to.
Also found out that my rifle hates .490 lead balls. I set up 3 paper targets at 25 yds.
- .480 ball, .010 patch, 50 grains Goex = 4 out of 5 in the middle
- .495 ball, .010 patch, 60 grains Goex = 3 out of 5 in the middle
- .490 ball, .010 patch, 50 or 60 grains Goex = 1 out of 5 on the 12" circle, bottom left nowhere near the bullseye...4 not even on the paper!

I could not believe it. I hit steel at 50 yds with the .480 ball, but absolutely nothing with the .490 balls, not just today but most of the last few outings. But the difference in powder and consistent ignition was very surprising.

Flintlocks....funny little fellers ain't they? My caplock seems ok with .490's so I have no idea what the deal is but happy I can hit something with my flintlock.

View attachment 326613

Were those store bought or home cast balls?

IMG_0585w.jpg

Needs a polish job, but is near done!
My own design and it works, and has a half cock.
Push out the one pin and it all comes apart for cleaning.
Not the prettiest design, but it should make a good hunting gun.
Small large bore in .58 cal.
It is also designed for interchangeable barrels.
I can see a .69 in the future.
Updated picture to include sight.

Attachments

• IMG_0584w.jpg
    IMG_0584w.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I just finished a 3-month project to refinish my old Investarm "Hawken". It now has both a 28 inch and a 24 inch barrel. All the steel was redone with Track Of The Wolf's browning solution, German silver front sights and period correct rear sights on both barrels, recontoured and refinished the stock, refitted and polished all the brass components, added a toe plate, etc.

got some shooting in this morning. The bottom 2 shots and the 2 above were with a cut up cotton shirt and Blakemore Reel Magic for lube, just curious to see if the Blakemore stuff would work as a lube. The 4 shot group at the top was with 7-1 moose milk and ox yoke patch material, over powder wad, .445 RB and 65 grains 2F Goex

Attachments

• DSC00267.JPG
    DSC00267.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC00272 - Copy.JPG
    DSC00272 - Copy.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
One of my Sons has a .36 rifle and I could have sworn that several months ago I grabbed a big handful of his swaged Hornady .350 balls and brought them to the camp. Had planned to shoot the new SMR this morning. But the balls were no where to be found. So I bush hogged half the day, which was badly needed, put out weed poison after that, and spent the rest of the afternoon casting .350 balls. First time casting this size and man does the lead go a long way, could hardly tell any was missing from the pot. Ended up with 184 so I’ll be set for a while.

Attachments

• IMG_3989.jpeg
    IMG_3989.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3990.jpeg
    IMG_3990.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Braved the heat and shot the new SMR for the first time. Luckily the humidity is low today but still hot. I started out with 30 grains of Swiss 3F, .350 RB, .018 PT, and Goex 4F prime.
I also used a thin Dawn/water spray for lube, sponging off any excess with a paper towel. Then tried 35 grains of Swiss. I’m pleased for a first outing, still lots of experimenting to do before I touch the sights. The rifle performed perfectly, nice, fast ignition. And what really surprised me was that I had zero fouling problems. I shot a couple of times offhand at my steel targets so a total of 16 shots without swabbing and the last loaded as easy as the first. Was pleasantly surprised to see how little fouling there was on the patch after I finished. Not sure whether it was the bore polish I did or the Dawn/water lube that minimized the fouling, probably a combination of the 2. Picked up a few of the ball patches and they looked fine.
The .018 patches were all I had to choose from. I bought a pack of precut .020, but they compressed to only .016. I’m going to cut out some true .020’s for the next outing. Wanted to shoot some more but the heat finally stopped the fun. Now to get her cleaned up.

Attachments

• IMG_3992.jpeg
    IMG_3992.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3998.jpeg
    IMG_3998.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3997.jpeg
    IMG_3997.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3996.jpeg
    IMG_3996.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3994.jpeg
    IMG_3994.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3991.jpeg
    IMG_3991.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Braved the heat and shot the new SMR for the first time. Luckily the humidity is low today but still hot. I started out with 30 grains of Swiss 3F, .350 RB, .018 PT, and Goex 4F prime.
I also used a thin Dawn/water spray for lube, sponging off any excess with a paper towel. Then tried 35 grains of Swiss. I’m pleased for a first outing, still lots of experimenting to do before I touch the sights. The rifle performed perfectly, nice, fast ignition. And what really surprised me was that I had zero fouling problems. I shot a couple of times offhand at my steel targets so a total of 16 shots without swabbing and the last loaded as easy as the first. Was pleasantly surprised to see how little fouling there was on the patch after I finished. Not sure whether it was the bore polish I did or the Dawn/water lube that minimized the fouling, probably a combination of the 2. Picked up a few of the ball patches and they looked fine.
The .018 patches were all I had to choose from. I bought a pack of precut .020, but they compressed to only .016. I’m going to cut out some true .020’s for the next outing. Wanted to shoot some more but the heat finally stopped the fun. Now to get her cleaned up.
Pretty darn respectable for its first dance, TDM. I can only hope my Colonial two-steps as well on her first time out. :)

Want to do my barrel in french grey so I cold blued it the other night. Well the blue looked so nice I was afraid to remove it for fear of what I may get. Well today I got up my nerve and went for it. I like it, looks more fitting for a tenn rifle but the blue looked good also. First the french grey then the blue. Did I do the right thing?
20240612_151558.jpg
20240612_151606.jpg
4780 (1).jpeg

Want to do my barrel in french grey so I cold blued it the other night. Well the blue looked so nice I was afraid to remove it for fear of what I may get. Well today I got up my nerve and went for it. I like it, looks more fitting for a tenn rifle but the blue looked good also. First the french grey then the blue. Did I do the right thing?View attachment 327028View attachment 327029View attachment 327024
They both look good, couldn’t go wrong either way.

Back