• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is the dog?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Questions: Were the jaws of the cock or the cock itself, that hold the pyrite or flint ever referred to as the dog? Was the dog always the halfcock safety hook behind the cock on a snaphaunce or English doglock?

Oreclan:

Questions: Were the jaws of the cock or the cock itself, that hold the pyrite or flint ever referred to as the dog? Was the dog always the halfcock safety hook behind the cock on a snaphaunce or English doglock?

In the case of a Wheellock;

LW.gif

In the case of a Doglock;

LLD.gif

The lock pictures are from Arms and Armor in Colonial America by Harold L. Peterson

Hope this helps!

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

A dog is a mechanical device for gripping. I'm not exactly sure if a dog fits in a sear or a sear fits in a dog but it's something like that. You get dog catches and driving dogs.

It's fallen out of use since it became a generic word for hounds in general rather than just the male variety. We'd probably call it a detent nowadays :thumbsup:

Although we call the hook device a "Dog" now, even when used on a true flintlock, the oldtimers usually called it a "Ketch". Ben

Of course, the arm that holds the burning slowmatch on a true matchlock is called the dog. Teleoceras, if I am wrong please correct me.

On a handgonne or culiver where the s shaped piece that holds the match on one end and is lifted in order to put the match in the prime from the other end is known as the serpentine. at least to my knowledge.

volatpluvia

Volatpluvia:

Of course, the arm that holds the burning slowmatch on a true matchlock is called the dog. Teleoceras, if I am wrong please correct me.

On a handgonne or culiver where the s shaped piece that holds the match on one end and is lifted in order to put the match in the prime from the other end is known as the serpentine. at least to my knowledge.

They were called a serpentine on Matchlocks too.

LMA.gif

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

Teleoceras,
Hey thanks for correcting me! I think I just made the assumption in the past that it was called the dog. I like the serpentine for the matchlock better anyway. :bow: :grin: :v
volatpluvia

On the Roman era catapults they had two iron gears on both sides of the axle. A man on each side placed a long iron bar in this gear and together they turned the "axle" against the thick rope to get the power for the catapult. I have seen modern views of this process and when the gears make a little ground this latch drops in place to lock the axle. ( until the next crank )
I believe these latches were called dogs way back
then. A simple mechanical latch. Perhaps the Doglocks were one of the final uses of the Dog.
It sure was not the first use!!!

:thumbsup:

That part would also be called a "Pawl" still very much used! On ships watertight doors and hatches use "Dogs" to lock then down.

Holly manure I must be getting CRS! I was in the Navy 4 years and should have remembered them Dogs!
Also the heavy chain tie down straps that are used on big rigs to secure heavy loads, have a simple device with a three foot long handle to pull and get all of the slack out of the chain/
Me thinks this was called a Dog also/ I recall hearing "Dog that load down you Dog!" I have been called worse things!

:bow:

Thanks. That is clear. The reason I asked was because of this posting in the 17th Century Yahoo Group. Because of the late century date and English trade goods, I felt that the doglock or a snaphaunce would have fired the trade gun - hence the catch behind the cock was being referenced. What are your opinions?

Folks,
some neato stuff that was new to me from Vol I of the Byrd papers- looks like 4
foot barrels and specific types of muskets for trade were well established by
the 1680s in the English colonies- as were color preferences for trucking cloth.
JM

Feb 2d 1684/5 (p29)

"Inclosed is allso a note for some Indian Goods which I allso desire by the
first oppertunity. I had some complaints of my duffeilds & cottons this year
[likely the woolen "cotton"]...Pray speake to the guns smith that the dogs of
all the gun locks have good hold otherwise the Indians will not buy them."

Feb 2d 1684/5 (p30)

"inclosed have sent an invoice for some Indian trade, & hope you will mend your
hand...Speake to the gun smith that the dogs of the locks have good hold,
otherwise the Indians will not buy them."

Ron Malmgren
PS Having also been in the Navy and later US Marine Corps, I remember "dogging down the hatches".

Yup, setting Conditions X-Ray, Yoke or Dog Zebra! :hatsoff: Sweepers, sweepers man your brooms!

I've seen Parts recovered from NC Indian sites that include English lock parts, they have ketches. Another very early gun may have been called a "Jamaica Gun" 6" plate doglock. The name comes from the same place the term "Carolina Gun" comes from. They were used in the British Rules of Proof.

I've only seen one intact example and it is a Bumford. It has a 4' barrel and is .68 caliber. I have seen several similar dug parts from GA and the "Snake" is different. (Jamaica) that is.

BUT, to muddy the water a bit :grin: I believe you'll find that what we call a "Sear" today was called a 'Dog' back then! :rotf:

Ben

Latest posts

Back