• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is the difference between "Twist" and Damascus?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a twist where metal is wrapped around a mandrel. Often made cheaper gun barrels, But Damascus is different and much more expensive.

Help me out, here.
Twist is as you said twisted wire around a mandrel. In Damascus hard and soft wire is twisted together folded and twisted again then from that new wire the twist goes around a mandrel
The diffent steels and iron in the wire makes it strong and flexible at the same time. Then when finished you see the pattern of the folds

Twist is as you said twisted wire around a mandrel. In Damascus hard and soft wire is twisted together folded and twisted again then from that new wire the twist goes around a mandrel
The diffent steels and iron in the wire makes it strong and flexible at the same time. Then when finished you see the pattern of the folds

Is there a picture that could show the difference?

I am aware that Damascus is hard and soft metals and folded many times. In swords Too hard, only, can hold an edge but brittle and could shatter. Too soft and can't hold an edge. But in guns

One of my shotguns. Is this Damascus? I am sanding to restore the barrels

Attachments

• IMG_0964.JPG
    IMG_0964.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back