• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is a ''belt pistol''?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was doing some research on different kinds of flintlock and percussion pistols and I came across the term ''belt pistol'' and I couldn't find out anything about them. Could anyone give me a brief explanation as to what they are and why they are called belt pistols. :idunno:
Any help is much appreciated.
T4M

Would a pistol carried in a belt be too obvious ?
Kind of like a boot knife because it is carried in you boot or a canoe gun because it was carried in a canoe.

As for Horse pistol; they are pistols carried on a horse usually hanging from the pommel in a holster one on each side for right or left shooting.
A pistol carried in the belt while on horseback would be most uncomfortable.

Based on their size and weight and thus the likely means of carry, 18th c pistols may loosely be categorized as "horse" pistols - larger, heavier guns often carried in pairs in holsters designed to fit like saddlebags across a horse in front of the saddle: "belt" guns - more medium in size and able to be carried stuck behind a man's belt (some have "belt hooks" - slender metal bars attached to the side of the pistol & meant to slide over a belt); and "pocket" pistols - small guns that as the name implies, able to fit into coat pockets.

thanks, but I was literally just scrolling through some gun site and there was a section on belt pistols but frustratingly no description or explanation. but the mechanisms on all of the guns looked strange and there was a metal bar kind of thing with the lock screws. Im not sure if this is just a lucky coincidence or something completely different but does this strange mechanism ring any bells for anyone? :idunno:
T4M

Don't forget about the rather tiny 18th century Muff pistols that Ladies sometimes carried in their............. cylinder shaped hand warmers that were called "Muff's" in those days. :haha:

Gus

I wonder?

If one of those classy ladies pulled one of those little pistols out of her hand warmer and pointed it at you would you be "miffed"? :hmm: :grin:

There is also the "Coat Pistol", which is carried in a gentleman's over coat pocket

Zonie said:
I wonder?

If one of those classy ladies pulled one of those little pistols out of her hand warmer and pointed it at you would you be "miffed"? :hmm: :grin:

Muffed is when she fires the little pistol from her cylindrical handwarmer.

Miffed is the result of the bullet passing by without striking (you) the intended target.

Using it in a sentence: "She miffed." :rotf:

A belt pistol is one too big to be carried in a pocket and too small to need a horse to lug it as others have said. Mechanically it could be anything from a flintlock single shot to a LeMat revolver. To me a Walker is a horse pistol and a '60 Army could be carried in a holster on a belt or tucked under a belt. A Colt Dragoon? Well I guess it depends on how young and dumb you are. :grin:

I don't know if DGW's guns accurately reflect this but looking thru "The Karl F. Moldenhauer Collection of Remington Arms" , there were .36 caliber Remington Navy's, Belt Pistols and Police Revolvers.

This book was for the public auction of Karl Moldenhauer's collection or Remington pistols, held on Wednesday, October 29th, 1980 and contains photos and comments on each pistol.

Karl Moldenhauer was a critical source of information about Remington pistols for Norm Flayderman and his book, Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms and Their Values.
I'm using both books as a reference.

NAVY:
There were both the 1861 Navy (1862) and the Remington New Model Navy (1863-1878) revolvers made.
These single action pistols had 7 3/8" barrels. Cylinder length approx 1 15/16"*.

Single Action BELT:

Smaller than the Navy and used a 6 1/2" barrel.
6 shot cylinder. Cylinder length 1 7/8".
Unlike the Navy, the lock screws enter the frame from the right side. Made 1865-1878.

Double Action BELT (Also called Remington-Rider D/A New Model Belt Revolver:

Smaller than Navy, used 6 shot cylinder. Revolver used a 6 1/2" barrel. Cylinder length 1 7/8". Made 1863-1873.

New Model POLICE Revolver:

Single action. Notably smaller than Navy or Belt pistols. Used a 5 shot cylinder. Cylinder length approx 1 9/16"*.
Barrel lengths: 3 1/2, 4 1/2, 5 1/2 and 6 1/2 inches.

* Cylinder length based on scaling auction photos barrel and cylinder length.

Zonie said:
I wonder?

:grin: I don't think I had better go any further with the pun than I already have. Might get myself in real trouble if I did. :rotf:

Gus

I remember seeing a small calibre pin-fire revolver with a belt hook in a book somewhere? The name of the book escapes me but it was obviously intended to be carried hooked over your belt or boot top. Still, not very practical.

back in the 16, 17, 18th centuries when single shot pistols were first becoming available, they were produced in various sizes.
Some were quite small could be comfortably carried and concealed in a ladies hand warming muff, or slightly bigger in a man's coat pocket, or slightly larger yet and were called a belt pistol and even larger ones as a coach or horse pistol.
But dealing with belt pistols.
these were on average 10 to 16 inches in overall length.
Remembering clothing was much different then as compared to now.
Only your upper classes had professionally tailored well fitting clothes.
Belts were different then as now.
The leather was usually heavier and stiffer.
Normally wider than that of today.
Three and four inch widths were common.
Holsters weren't yet a big mainstay for carrying a pistol.
Many pistols of the day had a hook mounted to the side.
The person would slip the pistol inside his belt. The hook would go over the belt, thus stopping the pistol from slipping clear through.
The persons great coat or over coat would conceal the pistol.
Most coats of the day had large pockets on the inside, with larger access openings.
Allowing smaller 6 to 8 inch pistols to be carried in the pocket, or the larger opening would allow you to access the gun on the belt through the opening.

well, thank you. I think I understand what a belt pistol is and I learnt more about, er, women's ''hand warmers''. :grin:
T4M

nhmoose said:
Zonie said:
I wonder?

or Muffed? :hmm: :grin:
No. Just dead.
or wishing you were dead due to the pain of being shot point blank with a small caliber pistol in the guts

Back