• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Hawk?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zgilbert

32 Cal.
Reaction score
What hawk would be fitting for early 18th century (1733- )Georgia? And who makes a good one?

Tomahawks were common trade items and didn't vary that much from place to place as long as they were being supplied from the same country. A trade hawk of English styling would be fine. Here's an original one of the period; may or may not be English but fits the period.

mo-hawk3.jpg

mo-hawk5.jpg

Eastern Woodland...yep..that hawk fits...Now the big question...where can one find one of those w/o paying an arm, leg and firstborn?

God Bless

Lee

p.s. i want one....financially speaking..under 75$

Take a look at the H & B Forge hawks and axes for best buys in the under $75.00 category - forged hawks made in America........They come in various sizes and style to fit your needs.

Nice Hawks..but not like the one in the pics above...that's the one I want...I'm to poor to have one made...Thanks for the info..I'll keep looking...

God Bless

Lee

Zech said:
What hawk would be fitting for early 18th century (1733- )Georgia? And who makes a good one?
It all depends on whether you want a "working" hawk or a collectors item. You can get a good, "everyday hawk" for about $20, or you can spend a lot more for one with a name on it.

shooter_250 said:
Nice Hawks..but not like the one in the pics above...that's the one I want...I'm to poor to have one made...Thanks for the info..I'll keep looking...

God Bless

Lee

True but the pic Rich posted is but one of several styles or variations of the styles used during the past - to have one just like that it will have to custom made unless you can find an original but even then it would be doubtful that you will ever find one EXACTLY like the one above........

shooter_250 said:

God Bless

Lee

Lee,
Not being a smart *** but you could make one your self. I am sure you could find someone with a forge in your local area and they could help you with the smithing or a local Boy scout camp.
Best of luck
Reb_Cav2

Reb,,,I didn't take it as you being a SA,,,I'm not in a position in which I can forge my own,,boy if I was,,

I think the pole axe/hatchets offer a little more usage and no disadvantage a white man need not limit himself to a native trade item, keep in mind what main use it will be for when choosing the style/size

http://www.fortturner.com/index.html
At the local Tall Trees Randevous in Smith River, Oregon I picked up a Buck hawk from FT. Very fine stuff. Made by the bladesmith in photo. You would not be sorry going with this mans hawk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back