• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What have you used?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not sure that this should be in the hunting section so starting it here. Not restricted to Canucks, anybody please feel free to contribute.

If Mods feel this is acceptable or more appropriate elsewhere, great.

Following Walkingeagle's hugely enjoyable tale got me curious as to what other folks have used on what critters? Buffalo (I don't care if they're bison, it's what I grew up with) sheep, griz?
.32, .50, bigger?

I've tried both a percussion CVA Hawken and a flint TC Renegade, in .50. No success, only fleeting chances which are the realities of hunting with my father-in-law. Being on oxygen, it's a case of cruise slowly until we find a deer that will stand still long enough for him to get out, ready and legal and take his shot.

I have only hunted with .50 and .54 cal rifles (using muzzleloaders that is). I have never lost an animal yet with either. I have only taken moose and mule deer with the .54. Both with round balls and 90 yds being the farthest. My .50 has taken mullies, whitetails, black bear, and now an elk. Shot with 370 maxiballs or roundballs. Furthest was a mullie at near 100 yards broadside. Passed right through and was over in 2-3 jumps.
Walk

I should also add that to be real successful one must adjust styles and hunt like you are holding a bow. This takes a completely different mindset, level of patience and scouting. Hunt where the animals want to be, then wait for then to come.
Walk

I would like to find a place for him to sit on a stand but haven't found a spot that is travelled regularly enough to try.

When does are closed we can sit and see them easily enough. But during their open season, it's cover more ground and hope to find one in suitable situation.

Now that we have a handicap permit system allowing him to carry on my side by side in the mornings we could get off the beaten track better. IF I can convince him to get it.

Mostly I have only hunted with .50 cal or bigger for deer due to the fact that I may run into Moose, Elk and or Bear while out hunting deer. I Have taken black bear, elk and moose with a .50 cal. I also have taken Deer, Elk, Moose, Bison, Black Bear and Griz with a .54 cal.

It is all about knowing your and your gun's limitation, knowing shot placement, your ability to make an accurate shot as well as your ability to call off a shot that just is not right.

Mostly I have only hunted with .50 cal or bigger for deer due to the fact that I may run into Moose, Elk and or Bear while out hunting deer. I Have taken black bear, elk and moose with a .50 cal. I also have taken Deer, Elk, Moose, Bison, Black Bear and Griz with a .54 cal.

It is all about knowing your and your gun's limitation, knowing shot placement, your ability to make an accurate shot as well as your ability to call off a shot that just is not right.
Fully agree sir!
Walk

I have taken squirrel, coyote, and whitetail deer with several different.45's. Round ball, maxi ball, and maxi Hunter. All with 60-80 grain of powder. I think all of my squirrel and Whitetail deer that I have taken with my .50's have all been round ball. Doesn't matter which rifle I choose to carry as they are all fun! Greg :)

I have taken a few things since I got into black powder 5 or so years ago. A couple ground squirrels with PRB, a coyote with PRB at 90 yards (I was really proud of that one at the time), a doe with PRB at about 60 yards, and a buck last year at 54 yards with a Hornady great plains conical. All have been with the .54 Renegade and 2f real black.
This year I will be targeting another whitetail with PRB and possibly some Red squirrels (Idaho just started a squirrel season finally).

I should also add that to be real successful one must adjust styles and hunt like you are holding a bow. This takes a completely different mindset, level of patience and scouting. Hunt where the animals want to be, then wait for then to come.
Walk
Walkingeagle this is so true as you have shown in your recent fantastic hunting saga. Hunting with traditional weapons requires the use of traditional skills, techniques and as you point out "mindset". Know your quarry, understand the terrain and adapt. Going to the woods with a traditional muzzle loader is taking a step back in time and becoming one with your surroundings as would Kenton, Boone or Bridger.

I hunt larger animals with a .54 flintlock, smaller ones with a .40 flintlock. My rule for a number of years was a flintlock shot should be like a bow shot. After years of dedicated practice and gaining knowledge of the weapon that distance is considerably extended.

As far as muzzle-loaders are concerned, I've got a lot of deer with a Parker Hale Whitworth. The longest shot that I took was 100 yards. Most of the shots averaged around 50 to 80 yards.

I'd like to try a flintlock rifle next.

I hunt with a .32, .45, .54 and .62 (smooth bore)
I love having different calibers for specific types of game but as others have said, I would not hesitate to hunt anything with any caliber and for the most part have, within the law. The .32 is a little on the light end and legally to small for most big game, but it is capable and ethical given the right circumstances and conditions.

I hunt anything there is a season for when I can draw tags. Rabbits, fowl, Turkeys, Deer and elk. I have "yet" to draw Moose, Bear Bighorn sheep, Antelope or Mountain Goat. When I do, I will chase them with a flintlock!

I’ve killed squirrels with a .32 shooting PRB’s and deer with .45’s and .50’s shooting just about everything made except PRB’s. I’d like to try fall turkey hunting with a .32 but were not allowed rifles here.

Squirrels
Deer
Rabbit
Pheasant
Dove
Grouse
Quail
Feral Cat
Flintlocks .40, .54, .62
Caplocks SxS 20 gauge
I've hunted for Moose but did not bag one..., too dang warm...but did catch a lot of Walleye, though that's for another forum....

LD

I've used .40, .45, .50, .54, .56, and .75 on about everything I could find here in the eastern US. Mostly .45's and primarily flintlocks. I'm currently rebarreling one of those old CVA Jukar percussion longrifles in a .32 cal and can't wait to play around with that. It might make a fine squirrel rifle.

Back