• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What gauge is my dbl. 12?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I put together a Pedersoli double 12 back in the early 1980's. Haven't fired it in decades. I just measured both barrels using my dial caliper (not perhaps ideal, but..) The right barrel appears to be .665 and the left .654 The barrels are not marked in any way. Is this a 12 ga. , Or a 16 ga.?

Is your gun the light weight one weighing 5-6# or the heavier one at 7-8#? I have one that I assume is the Turkey-trap gun in 12 gauge and both barrels are around 6.75 at the muzzle. I believe they are both full choke. I bought it from another member here earlier this summer and due to other things have had a chance to shoot it. BTW, the barrels are marked 12g on the bottom.

Is your gun the light weight one weighing 5-6# or the heavier one at 7-8#? I have one that I assume is the Turkey-trap gun in 12 gauge and both barrels are around 6.75 at the muzzle. I believe they are both full choke. I bought it from another member here earlier this summer and due to other things have had a chance to shoot it. BTW, the barrels are marked 12g on the bottom.
Kansas Jake..thank you for replying. The gun weighs 7lbs./6oz. I had a heck of a time measuring it reasonably accurately. But I think you are onto something with this one. And there are! markings on the underside. 12 ga.
I could not see them last night in the poor light. The barrels seem nice and bright. None the worse for the lack of use.

From what I’ve read on here our guns are not good or safe candidates to shot a patched or bore size ball. They may also be a little more difficult to load due to getting wads past the choke but other than that are good guns.

They choke down to 14 ga. or smaller. Loading is a nightmare. Wads don't want to go past choke and if you force them they are loose in the bore. Then when you shoot one barrel the charge in the other jumps off the breech and you must reseat before shooting again or you can have serious safety issues. One of the happiest days of my ml life was when I sold mine.

I’ve shot my 12 gauge replica for over forty years with no issues. Loads have been from dove to goose types and my wads have been Remington RXPs and 1/3 of a nitro card over shot. Easy to load and clean but haven’t shot loose. A very nice double gun.

When I shot it, gosh, I couldn't have been more than 35..a lifetime ago, I was unaware of the possibilities and just loaded up both barrels and took it as it came. I really appreciate the information from you Jake and the other fellows. I am looking forward to tuning up the patterning.

I’ve shot my 12 gauge replica for over forty years with no issues. Loads have been from dove to goose types and my wads have been Remington RXPs and 1/3 of a nitro card over shot. Easy to load and clean but haven’t shot loose. A very nice double gun.
Good to hear your experience Phil. Encouraging. I'll get the loads worked out. Thanks.

They choke down to 14 ga. or smaller. Loading is a nightmare. Wads don't want to go past choke and if you force them they are loose in the bore. Then when you shoot one barrel the charge in the other jumps off the breech and you must reseat before shooting again or you can have serious safety issues. One of the happiest days of my ml life was when I sold mine.
Thank you for the post. It is eye opening. Much appreciated.

I use thin leather wads in my choked shotguns. They go past the choke with little problems. Before I went to leather wads I would punch a hole in the center of wad to allow for it to go past the choke, and then use a second undersized wad to cover the hole.

Pedersoli as sold by Navy Arms.
To start the over card I push it in sideways then when the rod starts it moving it lays over flat and goes down to the shot, no problem.

I use thin leather wads in my choked shotguns. They go past the choke with little problems. Before I went to leather wads I would punch a hole in the center of wad to allow for it to go past the choke, and then use a second undersized wad to cover the hole.
Ramrod, thank you. Sounds reasonable. Is there a resource I might use to answer the questions.. type and thickness of leather and accurate hole punch source? It looks like the right barrel is full choke and the left is full choke and a little more than full.

Don't over think the leather wads. I just use scraps from the local harness shop. I use the softer leather about 1/8 inch to 3/16 thick. As to hole punch source for felt wads just use any punch about 1/3 the wad size. I make all of my punches ,but right now I can not do any machining due to eye problems or I would offer to make you a punch.For leather punches you want a punch .025 to .035 over the bore size.

Don't over think the leather wads. I just use scraps from the local harness shop. I use the softer leather about 1/8 inch to 3/16 thick. As to hole punch source for felt wads just use any punch about 1/3 the wad size. I make all of my punches ,but right now I can not do any machining due to eye problems or I would offer to make you a punch.For leather punches you want a punch .025 to .035 over the bore size.
Thank you so much. Good information is a good start. My Dad knew just enough about muzzle loading to get me to the point I wouldn't likely blow up the gun. He had me use BBs and bathroom tissue wadding in the old .69 caliber Swiss musket...also the little.410 percussion smoothbore I once inadvertently shot the ramrod from. Never found it.

Pedersoli as sold by Navy Arms.
To start the over card I push it in sideways then when the rod starts it moving it lays over flat and goes down to the shot, no problem.
As was mine, Ped by Navy. I loaded the cards as you describe but the fiber wads were the problem getting past the chokes. Each to his own in this game, I didn't like that gun at all.

Back