• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What do you lube your locks with?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Billnpatti said:
Nope, can't agree with using lanolin as any kind of metal preservative....
How about mutton tallow?

Orderly book of Col. Meredith’s Command of Independent Militia Companies at Hampton near Williamsburg, on home guard:

July 11.th 1776
Parole Hampton
--The Quarter Master is Directed to make application to thos Persons who may kill any Mutton or Lambs for the Legs, which are to be Served to the Different Companies to oyl the inside of their Locks.

Spence

Great quote, Spence :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

At that date, it would have been VERY difficult to get the more common Olive Oil for military use.

Gus

I can vouch for mutton tallow. I've used it in the lock as well as the bore of my .32.

At the risk of starting a "preservative war", I will say it's worked superbly in that regard as well as for lubrication.

The rifle also likes it for patch lube.

Great quote Spence. Nothing new under the sun. The old boys were smart. :thumbsup:

Best regards, Skychief

I do not know too much about this, but I do like the idea of mutton tallow because of how long it keeps.

I have used a very light layer of olive oil on my pistols and it has worked pretty well as long as I do not use too much.

I think I might switch to a light layer of mutton tallow instead.

Back