• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What brand of powder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buck rogers

32 Cal.
Reaction score
What brand of powder do you folks like. I was at a local gun store & all they had was Jim Shockeys gold & triple 7. Is there something else you folks prefer? Thanks

I only have black powder substitutes available where I'm at, but I've had good results with Triple-7. From all that I've seen and heard from more experienced shooters, though, try to get a hold of real black powder if you can. GOEX and Swiss, and Kik are some of the better brands, if I recall correctly. :hatsoff:

I was driving 100 miles to Dixie Gun Works to get Goex. I just found out recently the Bass Pro store we have here in nearby Memphis has it in the back locked up, you just have to ask. I don't know how far the nearest Bass Pro Shops is to you, It might be an option. You always read on here about the person or persons that go in on ordering a case and spilting the Haz fee and saving a ton of money in the long run.

I shot only geox and swiss untill I won some Kik and tested it now I shoot geox and Kik. The swiss is just to costly for no better than my eyes are. I just cann't shoot well enough to justify the cost of swiss. :rotf: :rotf:

I like goex because of it's price, consistancy, and performance. If you open a can of goex, you know what you're getting. Plus, I personally stay away from substitutes cuz it's "just not the same". :surrender:

I built a little rifle for my daughter, and we did run a pound of triple seven through it. She just wanted to try the sub. I was surprized at the power of that stuff. Never had a misfire or any other problem. If it burned any cleaner than goex, it was too little to notice. I understand that triple seven does not have a very long shelf life, whereas black powder can last for centuries. That would be it's biggest drawback in my opinion.

Like previously mentioned, Swiss is the best powder money can buy. Oh, that stuff is sweet! It's just not needed when cheaper goex is almost as good. It's like running expensive high-octane gas in your VW to drive a mile to work. Now if Swiss dropped their price to equal goex, all the other powder makers would go out of business over night. Bill

I normally shoot anything I can get my hands on, mostly GOEX 2 & 3F and some Schutzen 2F. I have a lot of Elephant 2F I bought for $3.00 a lb. It's dirty stuff but works.

Some of my thoughts about the powders we use:

Any real black powder will ignite faster and more reliably than any substitute black powder.

Federal law says they cannot sit their black powder on a shelf in a store like they can with the substitute black powders. They also must keep it locked up in an approved storage container.
For this reason, folks wanting to buy it in a gun store must ask for it. I might add that because it is locked up, often the workers in the store won't even know they have it so it is best to talk to the store manager.

Pyrodex is the oldest synthetic black powder and it is often available in many gun stores. It usually costs less than the other synthetic black powders. It is loaded in the same amounts as a real black powder load to give approximately the same velocities as the real stuff.
Pyrodex is usually the most inexpensive substitute black powder.
Because it has a higher flash point than real black powder it, by itself doesn't work well in a flintlock gun.

Triple 7 is a hotter synthetic powder and Hodgdon, the maker suggests that when loading it you should reduce the amount about 15 percent under a regular black powder load.
Like Pyrodex, it has a higher flash point than real black powder it, by itself doesn't work well in a flintlock gun.
Triple 7 is also known to create a hard ring of fouling in the bore right above the powder charge.

Jim Shockeys Gold and a few similar powders are the weakest of the synthetic powders.
Although they are hyped as being the best thing available they also will not work in a flintlock and they are no easier to clean than the other powders fouling.

All muzzleloading powders leave fouling in the bore when shot and the fouling attracts moisture from the air. Once dampened by this moisture a number of very corrosive things are created so cleaning the gun thoroughly is a must regardless of which powder is used.

NONE of the synthetic black powder pellets work well in a sidelock rifle. For this reason, always buy the loose powder.
An additional benefit of using loose powder is it costs MUCH less than the pellets. You can also adjust the powder load in small increments to get the best accuracy from your gun.

Have fun shooting your muzzleloader. :thumbsup:

Of those two you it would be Triple 7 by a long shot but per previous advice you need to ask for Goex, Swiss or one of the traditional black powder types. You can also order most any type of traditional black powder from several places, minimum 5 pounds at a time and you'll see a modest savings over what the stores charge. For now you need to try both 2f & 3f granulation to see what your rifle likes the best, so buy one pound at a time. Find some other folks in your area that shoot black powder and see if you can all go in on a bulk order, because when you get 25 pounds the cost per can goes down to around $13 depending on the brand. You'll find information on how to do that the right and legal way here on the forum as well.

Goex is all I can get around here, but it works good enough for me. :thumbsup:

Recomend real blackpowder. I use only Goex and have had no problems with it. It is American made. Trying my best to keep them in business. :grin:

Back