• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What’s the lock difference?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, and a different style cock too. I’m assuming the lock plate is the same on both of them. Or at least they look the same. Wished I had the two lock plates in front of me to compare.
Yes, forgot about the cock. Ok, I’ve got the picture in front of me. The pan and cock have been mentioned. The frizzen is slightly different. The frizzen spring is more open and longer. The tumbler screw is flatter. The plate has a more pointed tail. The eagle is different and the lettering font different.

For kicks I brought out my M1777 Manu De Maubeuge French musket because that lock looked somewhat the same as the Springfield. I was very surprised that Springfield lock was almost a perfect fit in that French stock! Wouldn’t have taken much at all to make the fit.
E0C7CEB1-0E84-470F-87B1-8C1621B68A5B.jpeg
2E76A6D6-05F5-4972-90BD-2B3EA76B34BA.jpeg

For kicks I brought out my M1777 Manu De Maubeuge French musket because that lock looked somewhat the same as the Springfield. I was very surprised that Springfield lock was almost a perfect fit in that French stock! Wouldn’t have taken much at all to make the fit.
View attachment 278688View attachment 278689
It has always amazed me that the M1840 plate was so old fashion styled. The trend in locks at that time was more rounded. The M1842 is an example of such.

Back