• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wet Calico Patching

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAEDWALD

40 Cal.
Reaction score
https://books.google.fr/books?id=eV...he united service institution in 1849&f=false
I was reading 'A Visit to the United Service Institution in 1849' and came across this observation of some example balls made ready patched for muskets or rifles.

'On the shelf to the right are several rifle balls cast to fit into the grooves of the rifle, and enclosed in thin calico greased and firmly tied on, for the more ready loading of the rifle. The calico is put on wet in order to fit without crease or fold, and separates from the ball on leaving the mouth of the piece. Musket and carbine balls may be prepared in like manner for sharp-shooting, when the powder-horn should be used, as cartridge paper between the powder and ball is a great impediment to good practice'.

Yet another way to patch a ball.

I wonder how thick ‘thin calico’ was then. Old calico I seen was heavier than the flower print that’s sold today.
Is this quote another mention of shooting patched round ball in a smoothie as an historic practice?

I've thought about pre-sewing patches on to RB's before as a way to speed the loading process in instances that might require it. Military exigencies and actual combat might be one of them! Of course, keeping the seam properly oriented would be important, but that would take less time than managing the 2 components separately.

Back