• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wedge Pin Removal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1895man

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Good Evening;
I have noticed that the Wedge Pins on my Rocky Mountain Hawken are Very Very Tight and Difficult to Release. They have a Slot in the Center that prevents them from being removed completly.
What have you used to remove difficult pins?
Is it better to Drift them out from the opposite side?
Thanks for your Reply's
Don

I use a brass punch made for the chore and tap them out from the off side. You can get one of the punches from just about any ML supplier in our resources section.

HD

I'm assuming you're talking about a "trapped" wedge and not an actual pin.
A thin flat screwdriver will work but not as well as the punch Huntin Dawg described. You need to be very very careful or you could stab the wood around your wedge plate. I put the rifle on my lap and tap the wedge flush with the wedge plate using the handle end of the srewdriver. Then I hold the tip of the screwdriver with my thumb and finger and touch it to the end of the wedge. Gently tap the srewdriver with a light piece of wood until the screwdriver tip just enters the slot in the wedge plate. After that, you're ok to knock it in until the screwdriver tip gets wider and just touches the sides of the slot. If it's still not loose enough, you could use something long and skinny like a blunted finish nail or whittled down piece of hardwood to drive it farther. This will get you by until you get a punch. Bill

I tap wedges out from the other side by using either a craft stick that looks like a popsical stick or 1/2 of a 2 piece clothespin.

Better to have them too tight than too loose. If loose, they can fall out and you won't even notice til you shoot. Then....oh my!!! They are usually pinned thru the slot to keep them from dropping out. The advice you have received on removing them is very good. T/C used to make a tool to remove them. It was called, of all things, a Wedge Pin Removal Tool. I have never used one but I heard they work well. Good shooting.

Thanks for the Reply's
I was told by 2 other ML Sites that the Wedge Removal Tool by OX Yoke was not made anymore. Hence I ask the Question.
Thanks to the Possible Shop Link on this page I found that they do have these to order.
Thanks for your help.
Now if we can just get out of town!

Click! The little light comes on! I picked up a NIB Kodiak double last year that is about 100% except the wood immediately around the wedge escution on the right side is kind of dinged up. It doesn't have a tight pin but I think I now know what boogered it. Been trying to figure it out since I got it. :hatsoff:

I have a Rocky Mtn Hawken and I use a plastic faced hammer to tap them from the off side, and then I have this little tool from T/C that is a wedge pin puller. Tapping them with the hammer raises the head just enough to pry them up with the T/C tool. Here is a link for the tool:
[url] http://www.tcarms.com/store/index.php/action/category/id/33/start/90[/url]/

Last edited by a moderator:
New for 2007: the Patented Marless Wedge Drift, available in all sizes. $9.95. (no truth to the rumor being spread by competitors that it is only a fat toothbrush handle with the bristles cut off, the nether end squared-off for tapping, and the business end trimmed with a pocket knife).

wedgetool.jpg

Agree with Chain-Shot. The T/C tool is very good and includes a #11 nipple wrench. Have used mine a lot. Top quality hard steel.

Cabelas has/had a knock off of the T/C tool also.

The TOTW tool is also good... but for quick & cheap W T's tool will get it done until it breaks down... mine is a vintage red 1999 model. :rotf:

I've been using adowel that I wittled down and a hammer to remove the wedges. A small smack and out they pop. The wood protects the metal and is easy to replace.

Mike

Mike;
Thanks for the link. I ordered one from The Possible Shop. It works Great. :)
Thanks to all for your help and replys.
Don

W T said:
New for 2007: the Patented Marless Wedge Drift, available in all sizes. $9.95. (no truth to the rumor being spread by competitors that it is only a fat toothbrush handle with the bristles cut off, the nether end squared-off for tapping, and the business end trimmed with a pocket knife).

wedgetool.jpg

:rotf: :rotf: Watch this guy! Next, he'll be wantin' to sell ya some Ocean Front Property down around where Zonie lives! :rotf: Not a bad idea, tho! :v

Flatlander[/quote said:
:rotf: :rotf: Watch this guy! Next, he'll be wantin' to sell ya some Ocean Front Property down around where Zonie lives! :rotf: Not a bad idea, tho! :v

(*sigh*) Well, ya get no respect, no matter how many useful contributions ya make to the Art...:

Announcing the Walker Fob!
Keeps those loading levers in place, even with the heaviest 60gr loads! Say goodbye to embarassing cylinder lockup!

$39.99, batteries not included. $9.99 S&H. Limit one per trooper.

fob.jpg

Back