• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WD40

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flteng

32 Cal.
Reaction score
A number of folks have rust issues after cleaning. I clean mine and swab it with WD40 and never have rust issues. I never read anybody else using it. Am I missing something?

It can dry out a bit with time. My rule of thumb is 'good for short term...not so much for long term'. Number of products will probably serve better if you're going several months at a time.

I use it too. (Have posted before).

In 1984 I was sent to Germany by Uncle Sam and left my guns with my father. I had used WD-40 in the barrels and 3 years later there was no rust in the bores. It works very well for me, can't say for others.

WD-40 is very good for removing moisture/water from your barrel, but I would not recommend it for storage. It was never intended to prevent rust, although it will for short terms. WD stands for water displacer/displacement. 40 was the number of formulas tried and settled on. At least that is what I read somewhere.

Uh-Oh! :shocked2:
Are we :dead: again?
Enneyhow. I have some recent, and puzzling, experience to share on this very subject.
I have been using WD-40 for many decades for short and medium term storage with excellent results. But in the past year or so I have been having trouble with my (now) most used rifle getting bore rust between uses. Interestingly, in that time frame our rainfall and humidity levels have been near historic lows. I had always used WD-40 and boasted on it here and other forums. But, lately it has not been doing the job. Dunno why. :idunno: I am looking for other options. Suggest ye keep an eye on yer bores. 'Stuff' happens.

After a hot water/Murphy's clean and rinse, I use WD40 to help get the water out.

BUT I protect with Hoppes or REM gun oil, Barricade, or RIG (if long term).

Probably depends a lot upon your local climate and how you use and store your firearms. I use WD-40 for lots of things. Squirt and spray versions. I have a gallon can in the garage.

Preserving metal from rust over a long period is not one of those things. It's basically kerosene oil with an aerosol charge. It also attracts and holds dust before it does evaporate away. Better than nothing, but there are better versions of oils for lubrication and preservation.

While I use WD40 frequently, Barricade, BreakFree CLP and/or good gun oils are what I use to guard against rust in the bore. I buy WD40 in gallon cans but don't use it for storage.

Hmmmm, maybe you unknowingly bought a can of WD41. :haha:

Seems I have seen Dutch write favourably about WD40.

I have only one use for it as far as guns go. If I have a fouled gun that I can't or don't plan to clean fully for a day or two or three, I give it a liberal shot of WD40 for temporary protection. But once it's cleaned fully it gets light oil, not WD40.

Rifleman1776 said:
Enneyhow. I have some recent, and puzzling, experience to share on this very subject.
I have been using WD-40 for many decades for short and medium term storage with excellent results. But in the past year or so I have been having trouble with my (now) most used rifle getting bore rust between uses. Interestingly, in that time frame our rainfall and humidity levels have been near historic lows. I had always used WD-40 and boasted on it here and other forums. But, lately it has not been doing the job. Dunno why. :idunno: I am looking for other options. Suggest ye keep an eye on yer bores. 'Stuff' happens.

I've cleaned and then used WD40 for short to mid length storage for 30+ years. Still no problems EXCEPT in my most used flinter. This didn't happen till I read all the good stuff about ballistol then cleaned the flinter w it. I'm still trying to save that barrel. If I clean lube and wait 2 days before checking I get red mud. It now takes a week or more of daily wiping w WD40 to get clean patches.

I'm not sure if this is a cause and effect relationship but I no longer use ballistol. I still clean my other MLs w water and WD with NO issues.
TC

I have had good results with Remington, Wonder Lube contains Teflon, it displaces moisture and prevents rust,I use it inside and outside the barrel and all metal parts,,good results so far.
I think different parts of the country will require different applications..In the desert of New Mexico/Arizona the application will be some different than the Coastal low lands of South Carolina/Georgia. Do what works for you,, :dead: :surrender: :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wick Ellerbe said:
WD-40 is very good for removing moisture/water from your barrel, but I would not recommend it for storage. It was never intended to prevent rust, although it will for short terms. WD stands for water displacer/displacement. 40 was the number of formulas tried and settled on. At least that is what I read somewhere.

The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and degreaser to protect missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company. Its name comes from the project that was to find a "water displacement" compound. They were successful with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40. The Corvair Company bought it in bulk to protect their atlas missile parts. WD-40 literally stands for Water Displacement, 40th attempt. That's the name straight out of the lab book used by the chemist who developed WD-40 back in 1953. The chemist, Norm Larsen, was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion ”” a task which is done by displacing water. Norm's persistence paid off when he perfected the formula on his 40th try.

In the mid 1990's after extensive testing, WD-40 was replaced by Fluid Film for the task of protecting missiles and other military equipment.

Used for years with no probelms but per others here I got a can of barricade and will use t and compare. Had never seen it before and a new store opened and I grabbed a can

I use a combination of both WD40 and Barricade. After I clean the bore I run a patch of 91% Isopropyl Alcohol and then another dry patch to dry that out of the bore. Then I run a patch of WD40 with several passes through the bore followed by a dry patch to be sure I catch any moisture and excess WD40. I finally use BC Barricade for final protection. I then check the bore a couple days after. My bores have always stayed mirror bright and have never ran into any problems doing it this way. When I am ready for the range I run a patch of 91% Isopropyl Alcohol down the bore and am ready to shoot. Respectfully, cowboys1062.

Rifleman1776 said:

Maybe I'm missing something.....but how are we beating a dead horse if you have some "recent and puzzling experiences" to share having to do with the posters subject matter?

Does anyone here have any experience with or comments about "Collector" product for treating gun steel?

Back