• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Water..... Safety Questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slowpoke

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I you're in need of water, could someone in the know tell me what to do in these situations.

1. Water coming rock rocks out of a side of a mountain.
2. Water from a brook or small stream.
3. Water from a major river or reservoir.

I've always had trouble with water and never having enough.

SP

1.) Boil it
2.) Boil it and Clorox it
3.) Boil it, Clorox it and strain it

Seriously, It is not worth what can happen to you. I had a very good friend and another aquaintance who picked up "beaver fever" ( Giardiasis ) parasites. One from a tiny, clear lake in the Adirondacks and the other from drinking in a small stream during a cross-country race. Both near died, and wished for it.

At minimum, use fresh (not expired) Iodine tablets or other purification tablets . 10 drops of Clorox per quart shaken well and allowed to sit fifteen minutes or longer is a good treatment, too.

NEVER drink out of moving water you can't step across. Even the clearest stream can have a dead cow rotting it it a stones throw upstream. If it's a choice of perishing of thirst or drinking. . . by all means drink. I carry a quart canteen whether it is correct or not. You could sneak a survival straw (reverse osmotic filter) into your shooting bag and tell the judge it's a plugged-up love flute.

"PC" = parasite colonized

FOR LEGAL REASONS I AM NOT ANSWERING THIS QUESTION !!!!!
However, if i WERE to answer..I do NOT drink 'wild' water in your part of the country..but if I HAD to, I'd find the fastest, most aerated looking stream I could find an at LEAST strain it through 2-3 layers of cloth, + consider BOILING it prior to drinking... :m2c:

Go back to the car and crack open the sealed bottle of water that you picked up at the 7-Eleven before you got to the wilderness....

Treat all water found in the wild as suspect. Treat half (or more) of the water in civilization as suspect as well and you will be way ahead of the game....

I spend most of my time in the woods of South Carolina... like it makes any difference. Bad water is bad water. Let say that I put 10 drops of clorox in a quart of water then boil it for lets say 15 minutes. What are the odds of getting some sort of bacteria or dead cow germ?

SP

Much like BadWind, I too am not ansering this question :) but having a few years of experience I'd suggest in all cases of using surface water to strain then boil 10-15 minutes and THEN add bleach while the water is cooling. Straining gets rid of the "big" stuff like particulate matter and most flukes. Boiling then will kill off the giardia and Cryptosporidium parasites which are resistant to the bleach, which will then kill most everything else.

Remember, that you should to do this with any water that you ingest- drinking, cooking, even brushing your teeth.

vic

I don't know why folks are so concerned about "not answering this question" when the information has been in the public domain for years.

Check with the Emergency Managemant Agency Center near your home. they have government publications with instructions for treating suspect water.

First, no untreated water anywhere in the U.S. is considered "safe" in our modern day. All agencies and authorities recommend that ALL WATER be treated as polluted before dringing.

The recommended standby is and always has been boiling for at least 5 minutes.

Chemical purification is second choice. Use tablets for the purpose or use two drops of clorine bleach per quart. Too much bleach is dangerous. The bleach can poison you. The limit recommended is two or three drops.

That will remove any organic infestation.

Chemical pollutants are another matter. They require filtering. Some are particles of molecular size and pass through any know filter.

Water comming out of the rocks went into the rocks from somewhere, with its load of chemicals and bacteria. In my area most of the wells have to be filtered and treated before the water can be consumed. Water bubbling straight out of the rocks can get you in deep trouble.

This is espically true if you are out in the bush with no quick access to transport and hit with stomach cramps and the trots.

This is one area were no one recommends taking any chances or being PC exclusively. Do what you have to do to stay hudrated and healthy.

Go to Bass Pro, RMI, Cabellas or any good wilderness center where backpacking supplies are available and buy what you need. Pills, filters, chemicals, whatever it takes.

The other best scource for information on any normal outdoor questions we trekkers face can normally be answered by the old standby, THE BOY SCOUT HANDBOOK. It has good common sense information gathered from a century of documentation and some of the information has not changed since the turn of the last century. Much of their information is PC and usable on the trail, not all, but a lot. Many of the How Too articles in our reenactment publications are lifted straight from the BSH pages. They have been telling people in the bush to boil their water for over 100 years.

Oh yea, the scrubed clean yuppie dude in the neat pressed and creased bush jacket on the TV outdoor show said to boil your water, and use tablets and filters too!

Thanks Ghost and others... I will do my research. The last time I went, I road my ATV 4 miles back to where I wanted to stay and dropped off a coolers full of frozen 1/2 gallon milk jugs. Then drove back and hiked in with my gear and rifle.
It was fantastic. I sat by the river and set up camp. At night I would catch catfish while I sat by the fire. It wasn't very PC because I also listen to the Braves on the radio but I builtmy own shelter and cooked over coals. I would just hate to get out there and drink some bad water and have cramps so bad I could hike out.

SP

See what ghost says. He has it right.

You are concerned about 3 things: Biological, chemical, and radiological. Just plain bad taste may not be unhealthy, but some treatment can improve taste.

I have a license to treat drinking water for public use. In my state ALL water must be chlorinated if it is used for public consumption. That includes well water. That takes care of the biological and possibly some of the chemical. Surface water requires additional treatment. You still have to worry about the remainng chemical and maybe radiological. Many of the chemicals can be removed by backpacker type units, but not all. Anything dissolved can't be filtered.

SO: either boil, treat with backpacker type device (or both) or pack it in.

Don't drink untreated water.

Been there, done that, and you don't want to go there, believe me.

rayb

You have never really laughed until you have encountered a 300 pound backpacker two days into the trail after he had consumed "bad water"!

We sent a rescue unit back after the poor guy.

As we say in the south,"he was Bad Off"

its the same here in the west , you cant tell if the water is good just by looking at it .
that being said many small towns this way get their water strait from the local creek and in many cases its un treated however it is tested regularly and systems are chlorinated often

there is allot of good info above and the only thing i would add is bad water is not just a hazard to drink but can also be a problem if you have cuts or open sores like blisters and soak you feet in it .
beaver fever is no fun ,, i have had it and im here to tell you what comes out both ends looks much the same .

while In the Army I found out a little life saver call pedialight ,,, yep you find it in the baby section.

our medic would carry a couple small bottles in his fanny pack , this isn

Pedialight... yeap. I lived on that stuff for a week when I had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. It's thick water.

SP

There is a lot of good information above. There is a product you can use for the biological decontamination of water that has not been mentioned. Aerobic Oxygen is recognized by the World Health Organization as a water treatment. While its not as cheap as bleach, it is safe for you to consume and it kills ALL anerobic (bad for you)bacteria, including Giardia and E-coli. You can get it at most health food stores or online. It also has many benefitial properties for your health. Do a web search and you can find out all you need to know about it.

:m2c:

I bet it won't kill Cryptosporidium cysts (actually oocysts, but whatever). You have to boil them suckers. Even bleach doesn't get them (in low girly-drop doses :winking:) as they encapsulate faster than their cell wall deteriorate without a shock-dose.

Giardia is not a bacteria, it, and Cryptosporidium, are single cell protozoan parasites and are both aerobic labile, and both are bleach resistent when encapsulated (oocyst/cyst forms).

PS If you do overdose yourself slightly with bleach treatment, you can repopulate your 20 some natural and necessary bacteria flora by eating yogurt. If you kill all the bacteria in your system, you have just as much diarrhea as if you picked up bad bacteria. And if you don't get some good stuff back in the bad has a chance of refilling the environment on its own before the good can.

Boiling 2 minutes kills them all.

Here is a little info on aerobic oxygen (a.k.a. Stabilized Oxygen) I just found online.

Effect On Harmful Anaerobic Bacteria

Most diseases and putrefying bacteria are anaerobic and cannot survive in the presence of concentrated oxygen. Aerobic Stabilized Oxygen selectively kills harmful anaerobic bacteria. Unlike drugs and antibiotics, oxygen does not harm the aerobic or beneficial bacteria needed for good health. Stabilized Oxygen is effective against* :
Salmonella,
Cholera,
E. Coli,
Streptococcus,
Pseudamonas,
Staphylococcus,
various parasites and microorganisms including Giardia lamblia
*Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts;
Stanford University, California;
NDRC, Texas;
PSI Laboratory, Texas.

Safe Drinking Water

Stabilized Oxygen kills coliform bacteria and microorganisms in drinking water without the need to boil the water. Laboratory reports show 10 drops of Stabilized Oxygen in 8 fluid ounces of mountain water kills the organism Giardia lamblia in just two and a half minutes. It

Cryptosporidium cysts (and everything else) can be filtered out by any of the really good "camping water filters" in the sports stores. The best ones to look for are those that filter down to 1 micron or less (.5 microns is best) and incorporates and solid block of activated charcoal (not just granuals).

Treat with chlorine first, then filter.

Pedialite will replace the essential electrolytes in the body, and will help keep you going.

the standard OTC remedy of Kaopectate now has bismuth like pepto bismol and can help slow down the Colorado Quickstep;
OTC imodium is a bit better, but the best stopper is to go to your sawbones and request an Rx for lomotil. Tell them exactly why you want it, and their shouldn't be much problem. If you get hit with Giardia, nothing will top it, but the above can help you hike out.

the only herbal cure i know of it a carved wooden plug about 1-2 inches in diameter... :)

*I am not a doctor, but I play one on the stage*

regards
shunka

Back