• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Washing Hudson Bay Blanket?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a used 8 point Hudson bay blanket coming and would like to clean it before I use it.Would Woolite or something like that be okay or should I have it dry cleaned? Thanks

cold water and Woolite, gentle cycle. Put in dryer on 'air'.

If it's bigger than 6pt. Home washer will not be big enough.

Or, take it to a dry cleaner.

wb

You could just put in in the dryer with a tennis shoe, no heat. That will clean it fairly good and restore the pile. I'm not a big fan of Woolite.

depends on what his need is for washing it. If it's just dusty and the pile is flat, the tennis shoe works good. If the blanket has been a dog bed for then years or something like that, then you are going to want to clean it.

I don't know of a substitute for Woolite.

I prefer my capote to be a little dusty and the colors faded. Washing it will ruin that blanket patina.

WB

WeaselBreath said:
depends on what his need is for washing it. If it's just dusty and the pile is flat, the tennis shoe works good. If the blanket has been a dog bed for then years or something like that, then you are going to want to clean it.
I don't know of a substitute for Woolite.
I prefer my capote to be a little dusty and the colors faded. Washing it will ruin that blanket patina.WB
Point well taken. Even though Woolite is "Supposed" to be safe for woolens, I have heard that it is still too harsh. :idunno: I don't know of any other soap that is a mild replacement either. In the event that he does wash the blanket, it needs to be done with cold water on the gentle cycle, if not by hand. Then air dried or with no heat in the dryer.

KansasKid,
Please wait till you get it before thinking
about cleaning it at all.You will know in a short
time after receiving it,if it needs
cleaned at all IMO!

If you don't want to use woolite, use a soap specially made to wash down sleeping bags and other down gear. It is formulated so it will not wash out the vital oils that make down work. I suspect it would be equally good for wool.

You can also brush it.

Take some talcum powder and sprinkle it all over the blanket. I put it in a large trash bag and blow it up and shake it good. Then take a soft brush and brush out the talcum powder and it will take the dirt with it. Some people put it in a dryer on tumble/no heat instead of brushing. You read about them brushing out cloths in the old days. This is what they were talking about.

Foster From Flint

It's wool. Treat it kindly. Any regular soap (dish or laundry) will do. Set your blanket in a tub of warm water with the soap. DO NOT AGGITATE OR SHOCK (hot to cold or cold to hot) IT. Let it sit 15-30 min in the warm bath. Gently squeeze to get the dirt out. Remove blanket from bath. Drain soap/warm water. Fill tub with clear water - same temp as before. Put blanket back in rinse water. Gently squeeze to remove soap. Remove blanket from rinse water. Drain rinse water. Refill tub with clear warm water. Place blanket in rinse water and gently squeeze the rest of the soap out. At this point, IF your washer has a spin only cycle, you may put it in the washer to spin (no rinse, no agitation - just spin the water out). In NO case put it in a tumble dryer. Lay it flat to dry. Seems like a lot of work, but really isn't all that bad and it will keep your blanket clean and like new.

Use a front loader machine at the laundry-mat that is at least a 3 load capacity, and with an eight point blanket you may want to find a 4 load, use Woolite but take note that front loaders use much less detergent than front loading washers. Wash on gentle, cold water cycle. You can either flat dry it use the biggest front loader dryer you can find and set it on air fluff only, no heat. This will take at least an hours worth of quarters, maybe more but the blanket will come out soft and fluffy. In the alternative, find a dry cleaners that uses a CO2 process. It will not harm any materials okus it removes dirt and odors, something that regular chemical dry cleaning doesn't do.

Back