• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Washing Clothes Primitive Style

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
In a primitive camp for an extended time, how do you wash your clothes?

In a creek using a rock?

Sneak into town an use the laundromat?

You don't, you just wear stinky clothes for the duration?

Interesting question... That said back when I was a kid nobody and I mean nobody took a bath more than once a week. Showers? Never saw one in the average home in the 40's in fact, never saw one even in the 50's. This brings up another question also. I can't imagine any trapper in the fur period leaving a rondevous with soap powder for his clothes in his packs. Simply no room. Along with that, I believe seeing as how he will be "gone" for a year that he would also have room for enough clothes for that time seeing as what the nature of his life would be. One question I do have is how one got the odor out of buckskins. Now, I have found out through personal experience that a person working out doors and spending the greater part of his time out there "smells" a lot less than one working in an office or other enclosed space. That brings us to the modern rondevous. My bet is that yes, there were clothes worn there but it was sort of the same thing that was done when I was a kid...once a year the family might have thier picture taken, it was a big deal...same with a rondevous. Once it was over..back to "work clothes". Frankly, I feel that today we have gotten way to sensitive about "odor". Look at those stupid ads on tv...spray this, spray that....no dog odor, no fish odor..give me a break! Sheesh!

One question I do have is how one got the odor out of buckskins.

I use yellow cornmeal to clean my Blackfeet warshirt, it lifts (absorbs) grime and odors and then brushes right off once done...

A one pound box will do my buckskins quite well, I spread it on thick and let it set for a day, flip it over and do the other side, them shake and brush off... (discard the used cornmeal unless you are having your in-laws over for johnny cakes :crackup:)

I think the smell of woodsmoke overcomes a lot of "offensive odors" One who spent a lot of time outdoors would have a mixture of pine,cedar and assorted smoke smells
Unlike todays cover-ups, Today one would smell like one took a $##t under a pine tree.
Natural wood smoke would be much better, and that leads to another question-how often did a trapper/mountain man really take a bath?

Bars of soap were actually popular trade goods. The traders were yelling for more to be sent out since they could not keep it in stock.

:front:

Every third or fourth month I wind up fallin inta a crick or a lake sumplace. I recon my clothes're as clean as I am

Latest posts

Back