• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Was gifted this table

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was gifted this table by one of my regular customers with the understanding that I am to cut it up and make things out of it. The top is 5' X 18"-24" X 3 1/2" and is an amazing piece of redwood.

There is alot of good useable lumber here

IMG_5163_zps3a593508.jpg

IMG_5165_zps65bf0f56.jpg

IMG_5167_zps7d266a9c.jpg

Tom, I'd love to see a small chunk of that turned and made into a high-dome butt plug for a bison powder horn. Finnish Lapp-style knife sheath panels also come to mind. That's a mighty big responsibility you have on your shoulders there.
:wink:

Sure would make some very nice contemporary powder horn base plugs!.... ever want to get rid of some of it, send me a PM!

Rick :thumbsup:

wow- the wood turner in me has begun to drool ... I will confess that I always look at the pictures first ... so i'm thinking before I read the text 'it would make a fantastic table,' but if the owner wants it turned into something else, well, I just don't know...

great looking buttplugs for powder horns...

:hmm:

There was a famous Japanese American that made tables like that. George ?, cant recall his last name. His tables are worth five figures and up. I would do some serious cheching before cutting that.

Thanks for the heads up on the table, looked it over well and found no makers mark on either the table or the base, did a little search to familiarize myself with his work and the base is way out of character for the type he produced.

Thanks again though, I would have taken it back had it been built by a recognized/accomplished artist.

Birds eye maple? We find alot of wood like that around here,from when they tore out olive trees,peopl made all kinds of stuff from them and alot of clocks,get them for dang near nothin,i had one that was huge like that and gave it to a pipe and gun grip maker....

The table is Redwood purchased in the early 80's in Northern California,

the lady that gave this to me is more than just a customer, she is a friend and fellow artist and gave me this table with the understanding that it gets cut up for things such as powder measures, plugs for powder horns, and anything else that can be turned or carved out of it.

Oh, such a gorgeous table top !!! If the legs are still on it and it is an intact piece of beautiful furniture, it would almost be a sin to cut it up. But, it is yours to do with as you wish. I hope that whatever project(s) it is used for are worthy of such a gorgeous piece of wood. As a woodworker, I am left to drool over such wood as that. :bow:

bpd303 said:
I can envision it mounted vertically on a wall with hand forged rifle & pistol hangers and a dozen guns hanging from them. Would be a shame to cut up a beautiful slab like that.

of all the suggestions, I like that one the best, although it's not exactly consistent with the gifter's (wrong word?) stated intentions ... I agree that it's a bad idea to cut up a piece that big with such incredible figure ... they're becoming increasingly rare as we cut down forests to make tract housing (insert tirade here)

so, one vote in the 'don't cut it' camp.

just one guy's opinion, free and doubtless well worth the price!

That being redwood and me living just below the Sequoia National Park,you don't even get redwood like that around anymore i don't think,been a long time since i've seen any,anyway,when they tore my grandfathers house down that was made of cinder blocks the roof frame was made from clear grade a
redwood and probably came from above me.It was a rush job my dad had done or i would have been in there collecting it all!Darn nice piece of redwood!

Back