• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Walker for Christmas!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colt bought rough forgings and castings from Uberti and machined and finished them in the U.S.A. to Colt standards. They are considered to be Colts in every way by collectors and shooters and by Colt as well.

Aww heck,I got a big enough "foundation" to carry one Walker in a holster... :grin: For two I might need them braces...

And Rikeman,I'll see if I can get a photo up after it is all finished.

Rebel said:
Cold here in Oregon? Where ya located? It is WET here on the west side although we do have a dusting of snow right now.
I use Pyrodex P in all my BP revolvers. Works just fine. Never have tried the 777, but hear you need to back off on the loads with it. Congrats on the Walker. :thumbsup:

Well, I can tell ya that Le Bleu just south of Yoojeen has a good layer of white stuff!!

tac, about to get on a plane for PDX!!!

:bow: Congratulations you have just latched onto one of the greatest guns, may you have much joy using it. If it's a Uberti it is a winner as far as repro's are concerned, thankfully not a Pietta ( the bottom of the barrel IMHO). If no one has advised you be careful when you fit the wedge after cleaning, don't put in all the way ---it needs a little slack---or the cylinder won't turn. Other than that watch out how your caps fit---#10 or #11. Depending on the nipples one may drop off (#11) and the other may not want to seat properly. DO NOT FORCE CAPS ON NIPPLES :nono:. The #11's you may crimp the case with the number #10's I would suggest you chuck the nipple threads into a variable speed drill and with a small needle file,gently file the nipple until the #11 goes on easier and doesn't fall off. Other wise all kinds of crazy things begin to happen. Good luck, I am sure you have any questions there are plenty of Walker users here to help you. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info on the wedge. The only revolver experience I have (for BP) is my dad's new army. I got #11 caps and will crimp if they are not snug enough. I know whe had a little trouble with my dad's loosing caps at first.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Walker! I use mine in competitions...with a .454 ball and a pre-lubed ox-yoke wonder-wad between the powder and the ball. No lube mess for this guy! Especially in the cold weather, the pre-lubed wads are the best! Good in the hot weather too! 50 grains of 3Fg Goex seems to be the most accurate. I can push 55 into the chambers, but all I get is more muzzle flip and flash and the groups tend to open-up some, so I keep it to 50 grains!

The normal sights are preset for approx. 75 yards, so you have to aim approx. 6.5 inches low to knock-out the ten-X ring at 25 yards! I'm fortunate that my Walker is dead-on left to right, so I just aim 6.5 inches low and make things disappear! On several occaisions I hit a gong at 135 yards with the Walker and the 50 grain load from above.

The most important thing to remember with C&B revolvers is a uniform loading discipline starting with throwing all of your charges at home, using a good powder measure, and tapping the powder measure and topping-off the measure the same way each and every time that you throw a charge! Next comes the tubes to put the charges into...I use the little red ones from RMC in PA. After that comes making sure that all of the powder from each and every charge gets into the cylinder's chambers and isn't spilt in any way. Next comes the use of a loading stand so as to enable you to obtain a very uniform seating pressure on the charge and the ball.

There's a lot that goes into making any BP revolver a real tack-driver, with experience being the best teacher! Good luck with yours and let us all know how you're doing and we'll all be here for more advice!

If you want, send me a PT with your email info and I'll send you some of the articles that I've written for two of the Clubs that I belong to.

Have a great New Year!

Dave

Yes Pyrodex will clean up with just plain soapy water just fine, it is probably a tad more messy than 777, but not bad at all. I tend to use RS, in my Walker, though you will get a bit more punch with P Pyrodex. I use P in all my other cap and ball pistols.

Pasquenel pretty much said it all. Mine has the larger chambers Uberti used during the time they were making the guns Colt sold a few years back. Mine needs .457" balls to shave off lead while loading. Crisco has been an old stand-by down here with warmer weather. Cup grease, and other type lubricants will also work. Hae even used Vaseline during hard times...kind'a gets every place though! :haha:

I ike to shoot the chambers full of FFFg, though the old timers used FFg back when. Both do O.K. and I like the big BOOM! I get with a full load. About 30 grains, give or take, would probably be the accuracy load. One trick is to have two powder flasks, one with powder and the other with bisquit mix. Started using Cream Of Wheat but found the stuff for biscuits compresses better. Just dispense a load of powder THEN the mix. This will position the ball near the chanmber end for superior accuracy. Do need to repeat the comment about the loading order...biscuit mix doesn't ignite well...don[t ask how I know! :rotf: Finally switched to using just powder but did buy a silver plated flask to keep the powder in the brass one and mix in the silver one...got to keep things simple! Simple things for simple...well, you get the picture! :surrender:

As I noted above, Uberti didn't make the revolvers sold by Colt. That's why they say Colt on the barrel and not Uberti. This notion that Uberti made the Second Generation Colts pops up from time to time and just won't die. Go figure.....

You're right the guns were assembled, polished and finished by Colt Industries from parts made by Uberti.

Back