• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wad over Ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gradog

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have used wads between the powder and patched ball but don't understand using a wad over the ball. Can someone explain.

The only time I've heard of someone using a wad over the ball is when someone loaded a unpatched roundball in a smoothbore.

In that case, the wad (sometimes hornet nest) is rammed down over the ball to keep it from moving off of the powder charge.

As for placing a wad over the top of a patched roundball in a rifle, I have never heard of it being done before so I'll sit back and listen to the others explain it. :)

I think Paul V suggested a patch below the ball to protect the patch. The idea may have been to prevent the patch from burning. I may have this wrong. It may have been someone conversing with Paul. I have not tried it.
Regards,
Pletch

I use a felt wad over the powder in most all my loads,I found that the accuracy increased and I was able to use a slightly thinner ticking patch,thereby making for easier loading.granted I'm not shooting matches only hunting but all my combinations as worked up, will shoot less than 1.5 inch @ 75 yrds and I can thumb start all of them ramming home the ball with one single motion. this includes my 58 cal TVM early Va.I shot it 20x @ the range one day and no swabbing.My smoothbore 62 cal shoots well with a wool patch over powder and over ball,tried tight patch but didn't see much improvement.Now I shoot it with felt wad over powder and t shirt dry patch around the ball,"Mz Maureen" delivers 3"-4" groups thusly @ 75yds.may be wasting time and felt but I don't think I'll change a thing :stir: :hmm:

Latest posts

Back