• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Venison/Pork Sausage Recipe?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Friends,

Just a few minutes ago, I received an email from a school chum who has offered me about 1 and a half (chilled, rather than frozen) whole WT deer.
(He's suddenly "moving out of state" & has no way to transport the meat.)

Do any of you have a GREAT venison/pork sausage recipe that you'd like to share??
(I suspect that I'll make sausage patties out of a lot of it but would also make links, if I have good directions.)

THANKS, satx

Some of the best sausage I've ever had was done to my Uncle Bill's recipe of...take one deer and two javelinas, butcher, cut into pieces and run all through the grinder twice! Talk about simple...and so am I! :thumbsup:

Have you got THREE javelinas? =====> Fwiw, we should be able to feed all of NB on that much patty sausage.
WHO is bringing the biscuits, cream gravy, eggs & coffee?
(I'll share. - CHUCKLE.)

yours, satx

satx,
Don't have a great receipe but the web site that longhunter posted looks great.
I have been making breakfast sausage for several months from a deer that my wife hit early one morning. It was warm and there was damage to a good bit of the meat and I was not able to bleed it out properly. As a result, I boned out all that was usable and made sausage with it. Not really using a receipe must seasoning the meat and double grinding. Then I make patties and freeze on wax paper. Then lift off the paper and store in gallon size freezer bags. I am still looking for the ideal reciepe tho. Interested to here what you finally end up with. Enjoy.
Tom

AGREED about that website.

Fwiw, my uncle (Mother's elder brother) HAD a great recipe for sausage but he never "got around to telling" me his recipe before he walked on.

I "pat out" hamburger into 8-10 OZ "single servings", freeze it on plastic wrap & store it in bags as you wrote.- The patty sausage will be handled the same.

FUNNY THING. Around here, I don't have to hunt for the freezer, as I'm constantly given venison by "hunters", who are only seeking "racks".
(I guess that I'm "odd" but I cannot see hunting something that you can't/won't eat.)

yours, satx

We have a 3rd generation meat shop in the area that often runs a special on slab bacon. I have him pick out the "overly" fat slabs that he does not like to sell (bargin). Chill and mix/grind 1 lb to 2 to 2.5 lb. venison. Cook this up and add some scrambled eggs topped with some sharp cheese and eat fast before rest of the camp raids the frypan.

Try 3tbsp sage,1tbsp red pepper flakes,2tbsp kosher salt,2tbsp black pepper per 4lbs meat mix.
The bacon is my choice for breakfast however a fatty(cheap) pork butt works well for spaghetti sauce or mixed 50/50 with ground beef makes a flavorful meatloaf. Trim off the deer fat. I cube the meat, mix and spread it out to sprinkle with seasoning and double grind. Chilled meat grinds easier due to the pork fat. For better "taste testing" let it set to absorb the seasoning at least 24 hours.

I talked to Mr. Tommy Payne (the "locker plant" guy) this PM. - He said that he will make up the sausages for a 30% "cut" of the final quanity, with Mr. Payne providing the pork, labor, spices & packaging.
(I said, "YES" to that proposition.)

THANKS to all who responded.

yours, satx

Back