• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Using flush nipple without making a mess?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About the same, but not he same. Obviously my distinction continues where yours ends. To me they are not all the same, there is much to discern.

Since they are all about the same to you, I'm curious. would you characterize them as easy or hard to clean ?

I apologize for using the term " about the same ", obviously this time I will make it simple, all my BP firearms clean the same way, very easy. Nuff Said.

It's not just the "water splashing" its black, fouling water running down the barrel, into the barrel channel, on to the stock.......I'm not dismounting a barrel to clean a rifle musket again, so I'm going to go back to dumping my water-Murphys mix down the pipe and pushing it through the hose nipple.

Using just conventional cleaning seems to just push fouling into the breech area.

Also like was said above, the historically correct method was to use leather to plug the nipple, under the hammer and fill the bore with water and slosh it around.

I also like the "pour in and let it sit" method so the water can work on the fouling while you pack up your range stuff.....then just pour it out and punch the bore with wet patches

I apologize for using the term " about the same ", obviously this time I will make it simple, all my BP firearms clean the same way, very easy. Nuff Said.

"Very easy" is an opinion that I can understand, respect and agree with. :thumbs up:

If I had my druthers I'd druther clean my smoothbores than my rifles. Seems easier to get finished sooner without the grooves catching crud.

I use bore mops in the smoothbores and just oil with a cotton patch afterwards.

If I had my druthers I'd druther clean my smoothbores than my rifles. Seems easier to get finished sooner without the grooves catching crud.

I concur.

Likewise I find longer guns easier to clean than shorter guns or pistols, especially in the field. A long gun can be cradled while maneuvering, retrieving patches etc. short guns and pistols usually have to be set down or leaned against something when both hands are required. Constantly having to set things down and pick them up is inconvenient and inefficient.

Constantly having to set things down and pick them up is inconvenient and inefficient.

Welcome to black powder.....? Is there anything about shooting black in muzzle loaders convenient or efficient?
Where I used to go shoot 400-500 rounds in a range session, since going black that has dropped to 30-50 rounds.
Every round involves multiple moves to get ready for the next shot. That's one of the things I enjoy about it!

For my Hawkens, I remove the barrel and nipple and place into a bucket. That's super easy,
But what are you guys with pinned barrels doing to plug the nipple?
How about a flintlock with a flashhole? when you clean and pump, what are you doing with the nipple, are you plugging? How?

For my Hawkens, I remove the barrel and nipple and place into a bucket. That's super easy,
How about a flintlock with a flashhole? when you clean and pump, what are you doing with the nipple, are you plugging? How?
Track sells a kit that uses an O-ring that surrounds the flash hole and keeps the water and flushed crud away from your gun. I finally caved in and bought one. Glad I did.

I don't plug anything unless I'm using the "dump and pour" method. Then I use a piece of leather or toothpick or I just plug it with my thumb.

Normally, I let stuff flow (or I force it) out the nipple. (but I don't wait until I have a super dirty barrel either) that way the breech bolster nipple everything get's flushed.
Hence, the invention of the flush nipple.

I take off the lock, keep the muzzle below the vent, and lay the stock with the vent pointed down on an old towel.

Well count me as another Juice jaws. This could not be any easier. I have a spray bottle with 7 parts water to 1 part Ballistol. I spray three maybe four squirts directly down the barrel then I remove the lock and as the barrel is soaking up the water/Ballistol, I clean the lock by spraying it down and using a simple toothbrush to remove any fouling anywhere in and on the lock.

Now I turn the rifle/smoothy upside down and drain the watery crud out. I then swab with a dripping wet patch once down and once out and throw it away. Now remove the nipple and set it in a bottle cap of the water ballistol mix to soak.

Now another dripping wet patch pistoned down and back several times. Another soaking patch back n forth several times, then turn the patch over and repeat. Then I begin with dry patch till dry and clean. Then A fifth patch soaked in pure ballistol down n up a couple times to lube it all completely. After runnin a twisted straight ballistol soaked patch into the touch hole, leaving it there I scrub the nipple/touch hole area with a tooth brush after spraying it down with the mix.

This takes way more time to type out then to do. If I take more then 5 min cleaning ... its a wonder. My 5 min/ 5 patch cleaning has never gotten me a rusty nasty bore. Rifle, revolver or smoothy.

Back