• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Using flush nipple without making a mess?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a flush tube nipple for my Euroarms 1841 Mississippi.....I used it yesterday and black powder water sprayed out the muzzle, ran down the rifle, etc. I had to dismount the barrel to get the water out.......

I'm assuming , have the rifle laying sideways so water can just run out?

Or I'm thinking of just using it another way. And pouring the water/ballistol mix down the bore with the tube nipple installed and simply using the tube as a "drain"

Mate it is usual to have water pump past the cloth and jag and to get a squirt all over you hand, face and stock. Get a bit of heavy rubber tyre rust band( used in 4x4 and truck tyres) say and old one from your local tyre seller and fitter, he should have plenty of them and cut a section about 10 inches long and punch a slightly smaller hole in the centre and them push it over your muzzle it will stop any water running down your barrel and getting under your fore end. I have been using the same bit of rubber since my late teens !!

Cheers
Heelerau

I’ve got a little brass funel that I use to keep water in the bore and not out side. Slopping a ramrod and.jag up and down in a pumping motion will get water over the top of the jag, and that will slosh our. The old priming the pump thing.
I clean by fill and dump.
However you do it you do want to be carful and not slosh all over your wood. I also wax my barrel channels.

I haven't seen any reason to keep the water above the jag/patch in there while I'm "pumping" the rod. I put the gun in my gun vise with the barrel angled downward and go from there.

Last edited:
All good ideas, I honestly am too lazy for the tire idea, I think I'll go somewhere between pour and dump and flush......and "pour and pump" using the hose to drain the water instead of it spraying out the nipple.

I've done pour and dump and I think it works too, followed by Murphys soaked patches, ballistol patches and then Eezox to protect the bore

What exactly did you expect the "flush tube nipple" to do?
I mean you can't force a cup of fluid through a 1/8" hole in 1.3 seconds.
Anyone can mis-use a tool,,
All you say is you made a mess,,, How did you use it? What did you do that was messy?

I am not trying to be a wise guy but I don't understand the big problem about cleaning our firearms. I get warm water with a few drops of dish soap, wet a patch on a jag and swab out the bore. Repeat a few times, tooth brush on the lock, wipe down out side and oil ever thing and 15 minutes all is done. Clean firearm and no rust.

Wrap a rag around the muzzle and rod to catch any flow-by, slowly move the rod up and down remember you are creating a vacuum un the up stroke and pressure on the down stroke. You want a fairly tight fitting patch for a good seal . But remember water can slip past the patch/jag and accumulate above it. If you listen carefully you can hear this happen. a looser patch combo will allow it to drain back if you pause and give it time.
I don't run the rod full length of the barrel while the hose is drawing water only from breech to about half way. This gives me some error room.

You can also just pour water or solvent down the barrel and use a patch on thee rod to force flush it out. But don't fill the barrel plum full or you will encounter the same problem.

I am not trying to be a wise guy but I don't understand the big problem about cleaning our firearms. I get warm water with a few drops of dish soap, wet a patch on a jag and swab out the bore. Repeat a few times, tooth brush on the lock, wipe down out side and oil ever thing and 15 minutes all is done. Clean firearm and no rust.

Curious how many patches it takes to come out clean?

I let water stand in the barrel for 10 min. or so then dump it out, repeat, then use patches. It usually takes quite a few before they start to come out anything close to clean and I always wonder if there is a crud ring at the very bottom corner of the breach.

Curious how many patches it takes to come out clean?.

For me it depends on how many times I fired the gun before cleaning, also depends on what type of lube I use and whether I'm shooting conicals or patched balls.
Done properly, I can get by with as little as 4 from start to finish.

Curious how many patches it takes to come out clean?

I let water stand in the barrel for 10 min. or so then dump it out, repeat, then use patches. It usually takes quite a few before they start to come out anything close to clean and I always wonder if there is a crud ring at the very bottom corner of the breach.
After a 5-10 minute soak and dumping out the dirty water (a second soak if really dirty), I swab with one or 2 wet patches and dry with a couple more. On occasion, I may also include a rinse with water after swabbing with the wet patches if the patches come out dirty.

When doing the dump and pour method I plug muzzle with my thumb, tilting the barrel back and forth sloshing the liquid.

Curious how many patches it takes to come out clean?.

That depends, but most of the time just 3 or 4 patches. Now that doesn't mean I only swab 3 or 4 times, I might swab 1/2 dozen times with each patch, but in 15 minutes start to finish the gun is all clean. Read the posts I am not the only who does this, the guys who take a over a hour to clean one gun I don't understand.

Going slow is the way to keep the sloshing down. Let the water do the work. I learned a new trick last week. I put a piece of maroon Scotchbrite on a .40cal. jag in my .50cal. barrel for 3-4 strokes. It scoured the last of the crud out and wasn't tight enough to hurt the rifling. Kind of like a bore brush.

I clean at the range, instead of dealing with the mess at home (I have an apartment ) so the flush nipple seemed like an easy fix.

Mainly to get to the breech area. The easiest clean up I've had was simply leaving the nipple on my P-H "musketoon" and pouring straight Murphys about 1/4 of the barrel full and just pumping it with a nylon brush....poured water down, pumped more, let it all shoot out the nipple. Finished with ballistol and then eezox, never saw a cleaner black powder bore until that day. I think I'll just do the same with the flush nipple.

I remember the one time I had to clean the thing and get home to go to work. Got it done in 20 minutes or so. No I'm not spending an hour cleaning unless I have absolutely nothing else to do and I'm enjoying the scenic view at my range

Me too.
Why make so difficult? What's so frightening about it all?
Oooh scary water, arrrgh run away, it's evil!
Honestly, do some here get goosebumps at bath time?

Bo_O

Some guns are just harder to clean than others. IMO, small calibers are easier to clean than lager ones. Smoothbores are easier than rifles. Cleaning after shooting round balls is easier than conicals. liquid type lubes make cleaning easier than waxy paste lubes. swabbing between shots makes finale cleaning easier. long guns are easier than short guns. The list goes on.

Some guns are just harder to clean than others. IMO, small calibers are easier to clean than lager ones. Smoothbores are easier than rifles. Cleaning after shooting round balls is easier than conicals. liquid type lubes make cleaning easier than waxy paste lubes. swabbing between shots makes finale cleaning easier. long guns are easier than short guns. The list goes on.

I disagree with that. I have rifles, smoothbores, long, short guns, cap and ball, and pistols and mine all clean about the same.

I disagree with that. I have rifles, smoothbores, long, short guns, cap and ball, and pistols and mine all clean about the same.

About the same, but not he same. Obviously my distinction continues where yours ends. To me they are not all the same, there is much to discern.

Since they are all about the same to you, I'm curious. would you characterize them as easy or hard to clean ?

Latest posts

Back