• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Use of flintlock rifles in New York during the revolution

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbg

50 Cal.
Reaction score
While reading "So Many Brave Men", an acount of the Battle of Miniksink Ford in 1779, there is an after action report written by the commander of the Colonial Militia forces, Col. John Hathorn. In his report is this line,"...put the Indians in the utmost confusion, great numbers took into the river who fell from the well directed fire from our Rifle Men, and Incessant Blaze from our musketry...". As I read this, I understand it to say that both rifles and muskets were being used by the militia. Anyone have any idea what type of rifle may have been used in the area that comprised the lower Hudson Valley at this time? I always beleived that rifles were rare, even non- existant here at this time period.

And as an aside, I was married at the Chateau Hathorn, in Warwick, NY, and our wedding party actually had dinner in the main room of Colonel Hathorn's home. I had no idea who he was at the time. His home certainly lasted longer than my marriage did.

Google "Selin's Rifle Company", "Selin's Rifles" or "Daniel Morgan's Rifle Company" for some insight into what riflemen were up to during the Revolution. As to what they were shooting . . . that's a little less well known, unfortunately.

A good bet is they were using something similar to or a rifle as was made in Eastern PA during the time.

jbg, I guess I should has asked this first, but I just purchased "So Many Brave Men" from the Minisink Historical Society. Is it a good read?
TR

Intersting, but I am only about 100 or so pages in. It does get a little dry when you get to the pension records. But my friends are on the cover!

I thought that one guy looked like a stock broker.
Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

In the book "George Washington's Navy" there's a fair bit of discussion of the assorted militias around Boston during the blockade, and their subsequent movement when the British withdrew to New York. Not much about weaponry as I recall, but lots about the challenge of manning and keeping the militias, down to specific units, as well as the chronic powder shortage. It might help you zero in on some specific units, as well as to see what was involved in assembling, arming and supplying a militia.

TRR said:
I thought that one guy looked like a stock broker.
Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

Nope, 2 maintenence workers at an agency for people with disabiities, a school custodian and a highway worker...

At the biginning of the war the British stayed "bottled up" in New York city because of their fear of the riflemen picking off the artillary men. The British commanders were used to using cannon against fortified barricades and the riflemen from Eastern Pennsyvania and further west prevented this stratagy from being used.Washington, while dependant on the riflemen's skills was very frustrated by their "independance" and refussual to submitt to "displinary orders". I cann't remember where I read this :hmm: but I think it was in Muzzle Blasts a few years back. :hmm: By this account I would think they would have had "pennsyvannia" style rifles. :idunno:

many of Morgans men were stationed at differnt forts in the vally Tim Murphy was at the old storn foart went it was attack Brant had gun smiths in the employ of the mohawks building and fixing longrifles

Latest posts

Back