• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

US Historical Society Deringer set

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone, Denster perhaps, know what the selling price was for the gold edition jewel encrusted set made by Uberti and sold in the '80's? My research reveals that there were 1,000 silver mounted, 100 gold mounted, and merely 5 of the jeweled sets ever made. My silver set, acquired from Denster, is a true work of gun makers art.

Does anyone, Denster perhaps, know what the selling price was for the gold edition jewel encrusted set made by Uberti and sold in the '80's? My research reveals that there were 1,000 silver mounted, 100 gold mounted, and merely 5 of the jeweled sets ever made. My silver set, acquired from Denster, is a true work of gun makers art.

My copy of the Seventh Edition Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Arms indicates the U.S. Historical Society’s Deringer sets were manufactured in 1978. The last issue price of the silver mounted was $1900 (1000 pair manufactured). The last issue price of the gold mounted was $2700 (100 pair). The last issue of the jewel mounted sets was $25k as @denster suggested (5 pair). Typical for original buyers of commemorative issued guns, not always a good investment.

My copy of the Seventh Edition Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Arms indicates the U.S. Historical Society’s Deringer sets were manufactured in 1978. The last issue price of the silver mounted was $1900 (1000 pair manufactured). The last issue price of the gold mounted was $2700 (100 pair). The last issue of the jewel mounted sets was $25k as @denster suggested (5 pair). Typical for original buyers of commemorative issued guns, not always a good investment.
I don't know where they got those prices at. The issue prices were 3000, 5000 & 25,000 respectivly.

I don't know where they got those prices at. The issue prices were 3000, 5000 & 25,000 respectivly.
Most replica non-custom muzzleloaders’ OEM prices can usually be checked from various publications, collector/commemorative ones, not always so easy. Below is a scan from the Seventh Edition Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Arms that I used as a price reference in my previous post. What source do you recommend for learning the OEM price of such guns? Figured out a long time ago that my memory isn’t always the most accurate for such detail, so I am forced to rely on published information that I will ‘trust, but verify’, whenever possible.
1695498681902.jpeg

My bet is that SDSmlf and Denster are both right. Denster's numbers reflect first offering prices, and SDSmlf's are the last issue prices.
I don’t know if my numbers are correct or not, I simply quoted a ‘respected’ publication to answer the OP. I wonder if that means the number of sets manufactured also comes under suspicion? And the gun sets were manufactured in 1978 (or were they?), so sets sold in the 1980s would be closer to last issue…… a lot of trivia.

Most replica non-custom muzzleloaders’ OEM prices can usually be checked from various publications, collector/commemorative ones, not always so easy. Below is a scan from the Seventh Edition Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Arms that I used as a price reference in my previous post. What source do you recommend for learning the OEM price of such guns? Figured out a long time ago that my memory isn’t always the most accurate for such detail, so I am forced to rely on published information that I will ‘trust, but verify’, whenever possible.
View attachment 255005
I have owned multiple sets of almost all issues by the U.S. Historical Society many of them including the derringers had the original invoice to the purchaser. Also I am very old and was around when all of these came out. Couldn't own them at the time with a family to raise but thought maybe one day. Well one day has been here for a bit.

I don’t know if my numbers are correct or not, I simply quoted a ‘respected’ publication to answer the OP. I wonder if that means the number of sets manufactured also comes under suspicion? And the gun sets were manufactured in 1978 (or were they?), so sets sold in the 1980s would be closer to last issue…… a lot of trivia.
SD
I wasn't questioning your veracity just wondering where the publication got their info. While I use the blue books a lot I find they are most accurate with modern guns, pretty close mostly with black powder guns, and all over the map with air gun values. Just my experience.

many of them including the derringers had the original invoice to the purchaser.
Original invoices definitely trump other references. I’ll have to reread the thread as I missed that tiny bit of critical information in your posts.

As far as commemorative or collector issued guns holding their value, the few that I have seen do OK always seemed to have the name Winchester, Wayne or Colt associated with them. Most others in my experience hold value like their great aunt’s Hummel figurine collection that was purchased as an investment. Every family has one or two.
Also I am very old and was around when all of these came out.
And yes, I am also old enough to remember when many of these guns were not just shiny, but also new and unaffordable.

Last edited:
Original invoices definitely trump other references. I’ll have to reread the thread as I missed that tiny bit of critical information in your posts.

As far as commemorative or collector issued guns holding their value, the few that I have seen do OK always seemed to have the name Winchester, Wayne or Colt associated with them. Most others in my experience hold value like their great aunt’s Hummel figurine collection that was purchased as an investment. Every family has one or two.

And yes, I am also old enough to remember when many of these guns were not just shiny, but also new and unaffordable.
Well stated regarding collector issue guns and an excellent comparison regarding the Hummel figurines. Isn't it amazing how something that in the beginning was an absolute rip-off in the end becomes an absolute bargain at todays prices.

Back