• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

unusual pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
curator said:
To retract the lower (full cock) bolt you must first pull back the half cock notched bolt above. This is sort of complicated but works despite the 40 pound trigger pull (a safety of a sort).
If I'm understanding your description of the way your lock works, I think we are talking about different mechanisms. Functionally this pistol works just like an ordinary lock. Pull back the hammer a bit and it engages the half-cock sear, pull it back a bit more and it engages the full-cock sear. That's the only way the gun can be cocked. Letting the gun down from full to half cock or all the way to uncocked is just like any other lock. Trigger pull is excellent, crisp with no creep and a light, clean release, I doubt 2 pounds. I've shot a fair amount of pistol, and I've never felt a better trigger.

Spence

Curator wrote a discription of the sear function.
I just suggested that a view from the bottom [of
the box at the back of the lock] might show more
clearly...I have made a number of miquelets, and
snap locks encluding the Baltic lock, several
wheel locks etc and am interested in the sear
release mechanisms...This one just looked different and was of interest....

wulf said:
I just suggested that a view from the bottom [of
the box at the back of the lock] might show more
clearly...
Wulf, I'm impressed. You solved the entire puzzle about the mechanism hidden in that little box just by asking for a picture. In attempting to get a better picture I stumbled on the secret.

First, a shot showing that this is a very small and rather delicate lock, the plate is only 3.5" long by .75" wide.

DuellerZp.jpg

And here's a view of the top of the "box":

DuellerZq.jpg

And a view of the bottom of the box:

DuellerZr.jpg

If you look closely you can see that they are identical. But, trying to get a picture for you of the parts inside the box, I pushed the sear lever/bar backward to retract the sears, and I saw that the entire left end of the box moved up off the lock plate. That very thin plate of metal forming the front of the box is the spring. The sears are attached firmly to the left end of the spring, and the other end of the spring is fastened firmly to the lock plate by that bolt. When the sear lever is pushed toward the rear of the lock the front of the box/spring bends and withdraws the sears through the lock plate, releasing the hammer. It's hard to get a shot showing it, but I wedged it up, and if you look closely you can see that the left end of the box is up off the lock plate.

DuellerZs.jpg

You can also see that the box is not connected in any way to the rest of the working parts of the lock, the tumbler, etc.

That's it. Dead simple, totally ingenious. There are no moving parts, the spring/front of the box flexes back and forth, that's all. The action of cocking and firing the pistol is buttery smooth.

I've been wondering what was in that little box since 1985 when I bought the pistol, and you solved it in one post. I owe you one. :)

Spence

You are too kind sir...I wish to thank you for the
additioal pictures....That made life easier...

Latest posts

Back